Rental housing similar issue in other college towns

The Memorial Union and the Campanile taken from the air on April 9 during the 2016 Ames Fly In. 

Danielle Gehr

Like Iowa State, the University of Iowa and Iowa City have faced their own housing issues.

University of Iowa has a student population of 33,334, about 3,000 less students than Iowa State. The surrounding city has about 10,000 more people than Ames.

In June, the Iowa City City Council passed a roughly six-month moratorium on new rental permits and building permits that would enlarge existing rental properties, similar to the Ames moratorium.

This follows House File 134 being signed into law by former Gov. Terry Branstad which removes the city’s ability to enforce occupancy based on familial status.

Iowa City has a population of 74,398 compared to Ames’ 66,191. Iowa City residents and UI students struggle to find affordable housing. An article in The Gazette revealed that 61 percent of renters in Iowa City pay 30 percent or more of their income on rent. This compares to 59 percent of Ames renters.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development defines affordable housing as less than 30 percent of someone’s income, according to the Gazette.

In a letter to the Daily Iowan, a UI student and mother, Sheri Deal-Tyne, wrote about her experience being evicted by her landlord and struggling to find other housing options for her family.

“Because of the student-centered/landlord-controlled rental housing market in Iowa City, there is very little affordable family housing available. I have been searching for affordable, safe housing for my family and me since the summer of 2015,” Deal-Tyne wrote.

Off-campus housing difficulties are coupled with UI’s struggles to offer enough on-campus housing options for its students.

In 2016, 300 students were placed in expanded housing, the study-lounges in doors which are turned into dorms that holds up to eight people, according to the Daily Iowan. These issues were solved with the opening of a new dorm building.

This semester is the first time in years that the University of Iowa won’t use the study-lounges as housing for students, according to The Gazette.

While UI was trying to find additional housing for its incoming freshmen in 2016, emails were sent to returning student who planned on living on-campus, giving them the opportunity to cancel their housing contracts without being charged.

These issues are partially attributed to growing enrollment, similar to what Iowa State saw over the past decade.