Andy McGuire visits Ames for Coffee with the Candidates

Tiana Nichelson/Iowa State Daily

Students gather to listen to Andy McGuire, a Iowa gubernatorial candidate, talk about her campaign. 

Tiana Nichelson

A candidate for Iowa’s next governor visited Ames Tuesday night to talk about plans for improved mental health services and raising minimum wage.

Around 20 people were in attendance when gubernatorial candidate, Andy McGuire, visited Stomping Grounds for the Iowa State University College Democrats’ event Coffee with Candidates. 

McGuire entered the event and introduced herself, shaking the hand of each attendee. 

She addressed the group with a short introduction about her family of seven children, and talked a little about her college experience.

She spoke about improving healthcare. 

“I care for every Iowan,” McGuire said, “We have to worry about the people, they are not getting the care they need.” 

McGuire shared the police is Iowa’s first line of defense for mental health. She said this needs to change. She wants to put money toward community and mental health services across the state. 

She shared her passion to restore Planned Parenthood funding as well. 

“This is about women being able to control their bodies and their lives,” McGuire said.

Education is also important to McGuire. She said Iowa cannot keep pulling funds for education because it is forcing raises in tuition.

McGuire said it’s not right that minimum wage has not been raised since 2008. She supports $15 an hour.  

Global warming is yet another issue discussed.

“It’s a scientific fact. We need to start treating it as such,” McGuire said.

McGuire wants an Iowa with clean air, good public education, affordable health care and good paying jobs and benefits.  

Vice president of the Iowa State University College Democrats, Taylor Blair, said they host these events so students can ask questions that are important to them. He encourages everyone to attend.   

“We want to get people involved,” said Blair, sophomore in industrial design.

“Events like this, bringing them to campus gets students directly involved,” said Madeline Sinovic, freshmen in aerospace engineering.

“Actually talking to candidates makes you want to get involved in the political process,” said Mara Kealey, senior in history.