Materials science and engineering launches new alumni program

Willa Colville

Just a few weeks ago, on October, 2nd, Iowa State’s College of Engineering launched an alumni program called MSE GOLD, which stands for Materials Science and Engineering: Graduates of the Last Decade. 

The group was created to help Iowa State MSE graduates reconnect with friends and well as network and star opportunities with fellow alumni. Some of the goals of this new program include a mentor program. Iowa State MSE alumni will mentor students by giving career or advanced degree advice as well as help improve their professional development skills.

The new alumni program, GOLD, was started by department chair Dr. Kristen Constant. After she consulted with faculty, staff, and the External Advisory Council about a way to connect alumni with each other as well as current students in Material Science and Engineering, GOLD was formed. 

According to Seth Berbano, 2011 graduate and member of the GOLD leadership team, “GOLD would allow current alumni to mentor current students. In addition to mentoring, another goal is to allow fellow alumni the opportunity to get back in touch with their former classmates.”

Right now the leadership team has been reaching out to alumni about GOLD. They want to, in the near future, have a kick-off event. 

When asked why this program is so important to him, Berbano said, “I love the Iowa State University community and would like current Materials Science and Engineering students to have the best possible experience.”