Former equal opportunity director files lawsuit against Iowa State

Beardshear Hall from Central Campus on Sept. 19.

K. Rambo

Robinette Kelley, the former equal opportunity director and federal Title IX coordinator, has filed a lawsuit against Iowa State alleging that male students accused of sexual assault were protected by the university during investigations, as first reported by the Iowa Informer. 

In the lawsuit filed Oct. 12, Kelley alleges that Iowa State knew that it was “not in compliance with Title IX,” and refused to allow her to properly investigate accusations of sexual assault, the Des Moines Register reported.

According to the lawsuit, Kelley claims that she was ignored when raising concerns to high-level administrators.

Kelley’s lawsuit was filed around nine hours after former Iowa State student Emily Black filed a lawsuit against Kelley and Iowa State police claiming that they failed to properly investigate a claim of sexual assault, as reported by the Iowa Informer.

Kelley is now the associate vice chancellor for equal opportunity and deputy Title IX coordinator at North Carolina State University. She is being represented by Thomas Newkirk.

“Ms. Kelley is bringing this claim to help all universities understand the important role of the Title IX Coordinator in ensuring equality and responses to sexual assault,” Newkirk wrote in an email to the Des Moines Register.

Executive Director of University Relations John McCaroll released a prepared statement that denied the university treated Kelley incorrectly or illegally in any fashion.