Iowa State men’s and women’s cross country teams win the Big 12 Championship

ISU men’s cross-country runners form a pack early in the race at the Big 12 Championships on Nov. 1.

Maggie Davis

As the Iowa State football team was preparing for its matchup against a Texas team in Ames, the Cyclone men and women’s cross country teams were taking care of business in Texas.

The Iowa State men and women swept the Big 12 Cross Country Championships today in Round Rock, Texas.

This marks the snap of a nine-year conference title streak on the men’s side from Oklahoma State. Behind Iowa State (40), Texas took second (41) and Oklahoma State finished third (44). 

All season the Cyclone men’s distance squad had focused on running as a team.

Today, they did just that.

The top finishers for Iowa State finished No. 4, 5, 6, 11 and 14 respectively.

Sophomore Andrew Jordan crossed first for the Cyclones in fourth with a time of 24:12.7.

Right behind Jordan was sophomore Thomas Pollard in 24:14.5.

Right behind Pollard was junior Dan Curts in 24:16.9.

Sophomore Stanley Langat and freshman Milo Greder rounded out the top five for Iowa State in the 11 and 14 spots.

The last time the men’s cross country team claimed a conference title was 1994 as part of the Big Eight Conference.

The Cyclones were coming off a disappointing performance in their last regular season meet at the Nuttycombe Invitational in Wisconsin on Oct. 13.

Assistant coach Jeremy Sudbury said the Cyclones would have to find it in themselves to finish what they had been working on all season and really run as a team.

Looks like that plan did the trick.

But the men had company in their title celebration.

For the second year in a row, the Iowa State women ran away with the conference title, and in similar style. It’s the team’s sixth conference title in seven years. 

Behind Iowa State (49), Oklahoma State finished second (89) and Texas come out in third (90).

The top five women finished No. 4, 5, 8, 14 and 18, led by freshman Cailie Logue in 20:14.9. Behind her was junior Anne Frisbie in 20:15.4.

Both the men and women’s teams saw three runners finish in the top 10 individually, and both teams’ first five runners finished in the top 20.

The men and women’s cross country teams will have the home field advantage at their next meet. The Midwest Region qualifying meet will be held at the Cyclones’ home course in Ames on November 10.