Set-piece frustration characterizes difficult second half for Cyclones

Brooke Tasker, midfielder, tries to control the ball during the home opener for the Big 12 conference game versus Kansas on Sept. 29. The Iowa State soccer team lost 2-1.

Noah Rohlfing

Iowa State let a second-half lead slip at home for the second game in a row. 

Kansas scored a pair of goals in the final 30 minutes to steal a 2-1 win from the Cyclones on Friday night at the Cyclone Sports Complex. 

The Cyclones came out firing in the first half and frustrated the Jayhawks with physical defensive play. While Kansas had more possession, the Cyclones counter-attacked frequently and went into the second half leading 1-0 after a first half in which they scored with their only shot on target.

Junior forward Klasey Medelberg scored the goal with a left-footed shot in the 32nd minute off of an assist from junior defender Riley Behan. It was Medelberg’s third goal of the season. 

Medelberg surprised herself with a great first touch to set up her goal.

“My touch took me inside,” Medelberg said. “I shot near post and I felt good about it.”

Iowa State has generally been a second-half team this season, starting slow and growing into the game as it progresses. Tonight was different.

The Jayhawks came back from their 1-0 halftime deficit by going right at the Cyclones. Kansas forced Iowa State to drop deeper in defense, giving the Jayhawk midfielders a chance to up the speed of the game and stretch the Cyclones’ back line. 

Iowa State surrendered 12 shots in the second half alone, and allowed Kansas to have most of the possession. That created problems for the Cyclone attack, isolating Medelberg and stunting potential attacks from developing. 

The Jayhawks finished with 21 shots to Iowa State’s nine, with nine of those shots being on target. Sophomore goalkeeper Antonia Reyes was able to make seven saves on the night for Iowa State. 

Coach Tony Minatta credited Kansas’ increased intensity in the second half with shifting the game in the Jayhawks’ favor, and lamented the fact that the Cyclones failed to break up Kansas attacks and protect a lead.

“I think that rattled us a bit,” Minatta said. “You can’t let a team like Kansas move the ball around like that.”

Another note from tonight’s game is that set pieces are becoming the bane of Iowa State’s existence. 

The Cyclones gave up another set-piece goal on Friday night, raising their total to four goals conceded from corners this year.

The goal came from sophomore forward Katie McClure, and it was a frustrating goal to concede for freshman defender Shealyn Sullivan. 

“We just have to mark tighter,” Sullivan said. “I think we need to work on communicating and stepping quicker.” 

The Jayhawks completed their comeback with a looping shot in the 84th minute scored by freshman defender Isabella Cavalcante. 

The wind went out of the Cyclones’ sails at that point, and the Jayhawks finished the game off comfortably. 

The Cyclones have yet to put together a full 90 minute performance in conference play, and while they keep getting closer to results, time is running out. Iowa State now has six games left to save its season.