Missed chances lead to 1-0 loss in Cy-Hawk soccer battle

Sophomore Jordan Enga runs down the field with the ball. Iowa State Women’s Soccer played against the TCU Horned Frogs on Oct. 7.

Noah Rohlfing

The Iowa State women’s soccer team nearly got a result on a night when the attack wasn’t firing on all cylinders, but a moment of magic ended their chances as the Cyclones lost 1-0 in overtime to the Iowa Hawkeyes on Friday night.

Iowa started off strong and controlled the first half, with the Cyclones struggling to connect on passes in the final third. The shot count was 7-5 in favor of the Hawkeyes, and freshman goalkeeper Dayja Schwichtenberg made some impressive saves to keep Iowa State in the game. 

Iowa fans were shouting her name all game, and Coach Tony Minatta was impressed with her composure in her first rivalry appearance. 

“She’s getting better game after game, and she showed a lot of composure and fire tonight, which was impressive to see out of such a young player.”

The defensive performance from the Cyclone back line was very positive after changes were made from the 2-0 loss to Missouri. Sophomore Carly Langhurst made her first career start at center back, and sophomore forward Merin Mundt started at left back for her first start of the season. The new defensive lineup more than held their own, as Coach Tony Minatta said.

“I thought our back line played outstanding,” Minatta said. 

“[Iowa] probably had the better play in the first half. We were able to weather that, and the defense kept us in the game all night. Nothing but respect for the job that they did tonight.”

Langhurst was also pleased with the Cyclones’ defensive performance. 

“I think there were times where we needed more communication or needed more positioning, but overall as a defense, I think we were able to talk it out and figure things out. I think we fought hard and were defensively strong, it was just an unfortunate goal.”

Chances came Iowa State’s way late in the second half. Junior Emily Steil went just over the bar with a direct free kick, and redshirt sophomore defensive midfielder Kasey Opfer hit the crossbar with a headed effort. 

The Cyclone attack had burst to life, but they weren’t able to put away their chances. The game ended 0-0 in regulation and went to sudden-death overtime. 

Minatta rued the missed chances late in the game and the slow start of the attack in the first half.

“We were missing some continuity in the final third. We got into the final third, but that last pass or final touch would get away from us, and we weren’t able to close it out.”

With three minutes left in the first overtime period, Olivia Fiegel won the game for the Hawkeyes after the Cyclone defense was finally breached. It was a frustrating ending to a frustrating night for the Cyclones.

After the game, Minatta preached patience in the attack as his young team grows together during the season.

“Every game for us is a learning experience. We still have a very young team, and it’s something that we have to keep building on from game to game.”

The Cyclones (1-2) will remain in Iowa City and play Minnesota on Sunday at 11 a.m.