Iowa State seniors go out on top in regular season finale

Iowa State freshman Sami Williams is met at home plate by her team after hitting a home run in her first at bat against Oklahoma State on Saturday, April 15. 

Iowa State entered Sunday’s game already locked into the Big 12 Tournament. The Cyclones weren’t satisfied with just a bid; they wanted another win. They got that chance with the season finale on Sunday.

Iowa State has thrived in high pressure situations this series, winning its last two games by one run. The Cyclones continued that trend and completed senior day with a thrilling walk-off win.

Brianna Weilbacher received the final start of the regular season in the circle. Weilbacher struggled to locate some of her pitches in the first inning, allowing three hits and two runs.

After the first inning, Weilbacher locked in. She only allowed six hits total, while amassing ten strikeouts. The ten strikeouts tied the school record for most in a Big 12 game.

Meanwhile, the Cyclone bats started off cold. Through the first six innings, Iowa State only managed two hits and drew only two walks.

The bottom of the second looked promising for Iowa State. Senior Rachel Hartman worked a two out walk. Logan Schaben drew another walk, but the offense couldn’t get them home.

“It meant a lot [to start on senior day],” Hartman said. “The coaches believe in hard work and the amount of hard work you put in shows up with our team.”

Iowa State entered the final inning with a two run deficit. The middle part of the lineup, all freshmen and sophomores, was set to bat. The underclassmen have benefited from being mentored by four seniors throughout the year.

“The freshmen class always remember their seniors,” Coach Jamie Trachsel said, “They had a chance to make an impact in what we’re going to do here and it was all going to start with them. I just asked them to buy in and trust the process.”

Kaylee Bosworth started the inning off roping a line drive right to the Kansas third baseman. The Cyclones were down to their last two outs.

Megan Schweitzer walked in the next at bat. All of a sudden, Iowa State had life.

Trachsel elected to have Sally Woolpert pinch hit. Woolpert hammered a clutch double to left field. Schaben followed with a groundout, advancing the runners and pulling the Cyclones to within one.

With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Kirsten Caudle lifted a triple just over the outstretched arm of the Jayhawk left fielder, tying the game at two a piece.

With two outs and the winning run on third, leadoff hitter Sami Williams was next to the plate. Williams jumped on the first pitch, hitting a ground ball that found a gap between third and short. Caudle raced home and Iowa State won, 3-2.

“I knew that we were rebuilding here and I knew I wanted to be a part of that,” Williams said. “It’s exciting to have close games like this and be able to come out on top.”