College money making made easy by alternative jobs such as Uber, JoyRun

Sam Greene/Iowa State Daily

Brett Staniforth, sophomore in supply chain management works for JoyRun, a food delivery service. 

Olivia Meline

Finding time for a regularly-scheduled job can be difficult for college students, but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. Three Iowa State students shared what it’s like to make money outside of a traditional job setting and work on their own time.

Brett Staniforth, sophomore in supply chain management, has taken advantage of college students’ love for food and is reaping the benefits. JoyRun, a popular delivery service that allows for any restaurant to come right to your door, is a simple money-making opportunity with flexible scheduling that is great for students.

”The flexibility was what first attracted me. With JoyRun, I don’t have to sign up for shifts; instead, I can work when I want, where I want, on my own time,” Staniforth said. “There have been times where I have picked up food I have ordered and gotten other people’s food too and, in the end, their fees paid for my meals and then some.”

All that is required to join the JoyRun team is a driver’s license and access to a phone. After downloading the JoyRun app and signing up, just wait as students and staff all across campus get hungry and start placing orders. Within 24 hours of a delivery, the money is reimbursed to the card that made the purchases.

If the food industry isn’t exactly what a student is looking for in a job but flexible hours and the freedom of driving are aspects of interest, students can work for a company that many use every week: Uber.

Much like a taxi service, Uber allows anyone who fits its list of requirements to turn their own car into a taxi. Background checks are required for potential drivers to ensure passenger safety and company integrity.

“The requirements for a vehicle include being newer than 2002, the vehicle needs to be a four door, cannot be a salvage title and cannot have any cosmetic damage,” Brad Schuler, a student who doubles as a Uber driver, said. “You also need a good driving record with at least a three-year history and be over the age of 21.”

But not all students have cars or, if they do, they might not want to have a driving job. BioLife Plasma Services offers a solution by paying for plasma. By scheduling an appointment online and going to their close-to-campus location in Ames, a donor can make up to $270 a month from dedicating one hour twice a week to this service.

“I have a traditional job on top of donating plasma. The difference is I can now use the money from my job to pay for bills and for school, and I can save what’s left,” Ravyn Clutter, freshman in pre-architecture, said. “I use the $70 I make a week from donating as pure spending money. And they put it on a completely separate debit card, so there’s no risk in me spending more than just that.”

On top of classes, clubs and other campus activities, having a traditional job is hard to squeeze into the life of the average student. Lucky for the students at Iowa State, there are plenty of other options for those with demanding schedules who are short on cash. The trick is just to know where to look.