Deshaunte Jones ready to step into spotlight in 2017

Iowa State wide receiver Deshaunte Jones celebrates after a touchdown early in the first half against Baylor.

Aaron Marner

When the 2016 Iowa State football season came to an end last November, some surprising names stood out among the Cyclones’ statistical leaders.

One of the biggest surprises was true freshman wide receiver Deshaunte Jones. Jones, who played quarterback at his high school in Cincinnati, Ohio, quickly adjusted to the receiver position last year and contributed in a big way for Iowa State.

“It was challenging,” Jones said of the transition from quarterback to wide receiver. “I think it kind of gives you an advantage, playing receiver, because you kind of know what the quarterbacks are thinking.”

Wide receivers coach Bryan Gasser said Jones’ speed was a big reason he was able to play right away.

“I think Deshaunte’s got a really high ceiling,” Gasser said. “You saw last year he led the team in explosive plays for us when you talk about plays over 20 yards.”

Gasser also said Jones was “one of the most explosive freshmen in the country last year.”

Jones finished second on the team behind fellow wide receiver Allen Lazard in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. He put together one of the best freshman receiver campaigns in Iowa State history.

“I didn’t know [if I would play right away,]” Jones said. “But I knew that I had a chance to play so I came in in camp in the summer and just worked hard… and I got a shot to play.”

Listed at 5 foot 10, Jones stands several inches shorter than most of Iowa State’s receivers — Lazard, Matt Eaton and Hakeem Butler are all 6 foot 4 or taller — but his quickness proved to be critical for an Iowa State team that needed help in the slot.

Lazard said it didn’t take long for Jones to impress the rest of the team.

“I think it was after the Baylor game, I was like, ‘Wow.’ I realized he was going to be really good,” Lazard said. “He always showed kind of flashes throughout camp and the first two or three games, but once he had one of those catches he had versus Baylor is when he really eye-opened to me.”

Even though Lazard and Jones play very different roles for the Cyclones, Jones said he’s learned a lot from his veteran teammate.

“He’s actually helped me a lot,” Jones said. “He’s helped me recognize coverages and stuff like that … we always talk about play concepts and stuff like that.”

As far as 2017 goes? Jones said the goal is to just keep getting better.

“I just want to be better than I was last year,” Jones said. “I have to build and get better each and every day and that’s what I’m trying to do to get better from the year before.”