A safe place for the LGBTQIA+ Community in the STEM Fields

Alex.Ivanisevic,.Com

The LGBTQIA+ community is covering new grounds in STEM fields.

A new student organization, oSTEM, is working to develop and improve networking opportunities, mentorship connections and professional and leadership development for their community within STEM fields.

The organization’s first meeting was held Wednesday evening in Mackay Hall. There were about 20 attendees at the informational meeting. Four members represented the executive team, and the faculty adviser of oSTEM was Michael Rentz, lecturer in the Iowa State Natural Resource Ecology and Management Program.

The meeting began with basic information presented about what the organization is and its mission. The organization expressed its passion for creating a safe place for LGBTQ+ members within the STEM fields to be able to come together and support one another and engage a diverse community.

oSTEM’s development has been a long time coming to Iowa State. Vice President of oSTEM, Carolyn Hutchinson, graduate assistant in Iowa State’s chemistry department, explained that it has been a process of nearly eight years to bring the organization to campus.

Hutchinson said that the organization presents a great opportunity to bring together professionals, grad students and undergrads passionate about supporting this community.

oSTEM intends on having meetings once a week. The organization will work to keep active by attending events and conferences with respective interests to the organization. oSTEM would also like to collaborate with other LGBTQ+ clubs and organizations on campus.

Barbara Morse, the president of oSTEM, expressed her excitement about the organization and the opportunities it will provide for members of the community. She said oSTEM is going to be an organization for the members of the community because it is vital to stick together and support each other through times of change.

There was positive feedback from the attendees, many of which said they heard about the organization’s first meeting via posters on campus and emails. They claimed to be very happy about an LGBTQ+ organization coming to ISU that focuses on STEM. Interested members can contact oSTEM through email, [email protected], or through their Facebook page: oSTEM Iowa State University.