Softball team takes on in-state rival Northern Iowa

Iowa State freshman Talyn Lewis looks to catch a pop fly in the first inning against Iowa Central.

Tara Larson

The Iowa State softball team is set to face its first in-state rival Wednesday.

The Cyclones (15-19, Big 12 0-3), coming off a three-game sweep at the hands of Texas Tech last weekend, will play Northern Iowa (15-13, MVC 3-3) at 4 p.m. on Wednesday at the Cyclone Sports Complex. 

The Cyclones had a troubling weekend when they played Texas Tech, which was both their first home game and their first Big 12 game of the season.

They began their weekend with a 18-4 loss Friday, then proceeded to lose the next two games on Sunday.

“It’s not very fun to lose but there were a lot of good things we can take out of the weekend,” freshman infielder Talyn Lewis said. “We got out-executed this past weekend, so that’s going to be our big goal [playing UNI].”

Sophomore catcher Kaylee Bosworth credits the biggest issues to being smaller things. She thinks the team needs to work on eliminating walks and illegal pitches. She also thought that Big 12’s caliber of pitching will be something the team members will need to get used to.

Head coach Jamie Trachsel, who is in her first season, said on Sunday that she was disappointed with the outcome of the Texas Tech games. But she is looking forward to the next chance to play.

“Anytime you miss something or feel like you could’ve won when maybe you didn’t, you’re always excited about your next opportunity to get that taste out of your mouth,” Trachsel said.

Even with the Texas Tech results, players are also eager to play UNI, especially since it’s the first home game of the season.

The Cyclones played the Panthers in their fall season during the All-Iowa Classic and finished in a tie. They also played them once over the 2016 spring season, but fell 2-3.

“I’m pretty excited,” Bosworth said. “I’m excited to see how our freshman react to such a big rivalry. The atmosphere is really fun.”

Lewis also said she is also excited to play UNI and to play after the weekend against Texas Tech.

“We always like to be competitive with the teams in the state,” Lewis said. “I’m looking forward to coming back after this weekend and trying to challenge, and obviously we want to come out with a win.”

While players might be more spirited for this particular game, Trachsel sees it as any other game.

“Playing an in-state [team], that doesn’t really matter,” Trachsel said. “It’s just the next game, next opportunity.”