How to turn your grades around halfway through the semester

Emily Clement

Midterms can make or break your grade at this point in the semester. So, what are some ways that you can attempt to turn your grades around?

Extra credit– Ask your professor if they offer extra credit. Although it may seem like a few points won’t make an impact on your grade, it could make the difference between that D+ and C-. It’s easy to blow off the extra points but any extra effort can make a difference. If they don’t offer extra credit, consider these next steps.

Continue to go to class– “The overwhelming majority of those with F’s, D’s and C-‘s are not coming to class,” said Kathrine Gilbert, lecturer in food science and human nutrition. Like many in Gilbert’s class, students think they can blow off class but still earn a good grade. It’s easy to tell yourself that there is no point in going to class, but it is the most important part of going to college. Why pay the money if you aren’t going to attend class?

Take better/more notes– If the way you are attempting to learn the concepts now is not working, try taking notes a different way or even take more notes if you think you aren’t getting all of the necessary information. If you’re still not understanding the information, Gilbert recommended going to office hours, attending a recitation, doing more reading on the material or starting a study group.

Make a study group– Having more than one brain in the same space could be the difference between you passing or failing your next test. Talking through the homework or study material with other people may help you remember the concepts better, and someone else may be able to explain the material better than you are understanding it from your professor.

Stay focused– Your brain may already be on summer break, but you must stay focused and finish out the last six weeks stronger than ever. All of the things listed above are just small parts of staying focused on your studies.