Valentine’s Day: Love your partner

Enjoying an ISU Football game

Grace Rigdon

Valentine’s Day is quickly embedded into children at a young age through Valentine’s Day parties, passing out Valentine’s Day cards, and the red heart cookies the teacher brings to school.

You may remember being back in school and celebrating love through cutting out red hearts, giving your hearts to others and possibly getting a card or snack from your crush.

College students’ relationships are as varying as the kinds of love. Some couples have been dating for several years and some not long at all. Some are engaged and some are married. Several couples shared their stories with us.

Brynn and Garrett

Brynn Beresford, freshman in elementary education, is going to be loving her boyfriend, Garrett, from afar this Valentine’s Day. They have been dating for a couple of years, and she said she is excited to spend the weekend with him, because they will not be able to spend Valentine’s Day together. On past Valentine’s Days, they have exchanged gifts and tried to watch fun movies and spend quality time together.

“In the past, I always noticed couples on Valentine’s Day, and it made me sad that I wasn’t able to spend that day with anyone,” Beresford said. “Until last year when I had my first shared Valentine’s Day, and now I understand the meaning.”

The couple will try to FaceTime on the holiday.

“I appreciate that even when I am having the worst day he can make me smile, laugh and will always be the best listener,” Beresford said. “It is hard to find guys who truly care about every part of you, but he does, and I am so thankful I found someone like that.” 

She said long distance can be hard, but it is great when they get to spend time together because it is quality time.

“I am going to tell him how much I appreciate him and also get him a little gift to show him as well,” Beresford said. “Chocolates and cute notes are perfect. It’s not about the money, it’s about the meaning.”

Blake and Morgan

Blake Larsson has been dating his girlfriend Morgan for a year and a half now, and on Valentine’s Day, they like to go out to eat, go dancing and spend quality time together. 

“I appreciate that she is my best friend and that I always have someone to talk to. She helps me through life,” Larsson said.

Larsson said he is going to appreciate Valentine’s Day because he will be able to focus all of his time on her. He said he thinks Valentine’s Day is a great reminder of everything that his girlfriend does for him on a daily basis.

“I am going to get her a gift or two,” Larsson said. “Probably some chocolate and a spa card so she can get all done up and [to] remind her that she is gorgeous.”

Larsson is also in a long-distance relationship. He said he thinks it is hard, but he knows he cannot dwell on it because that is how couples set themselves up to fail. 

“Being single in the past on Valentine’s Day has truly opened my eyes to how much I appreciate having someone as great as the person I do on this day,” Larsson said. “It’s hard to watch people be lovey, and now, having that, I couldn’t imagine my life without it.”

He said he thinks there are many positives with today’s technology and being able to use FaceTime and Skype.

“On this Valentine’s Day, I know I will have a deeper appreciation for her for sure,” Larsson said. “Having to deal with me being gone all the time isn’t the most ideal, but at the same time, we make it work and honestly don’t have a huge issue with it.”

Samuel and Nick

Samuel Tufts and Nick Chally said they have been talking since December and are going to spend their first Valentine’s Day together this year.

“I have a surprise for Nick on Valentine’s day,” Tufts said. “I cannot share many details, but I want him to feel special and have a great time, whether we spend time together on Tuesday or throughout the weekend before.”

Chally said he appreciates Tufts because he feels like he can truly be himself.

“He doesn’t judge me and I know I can be myself around him,” Chally said. “He is different from most guys I have dated in the past. I like that he is very smart because that motivated me to be a better person.”

Tufts said he appreciates Chally because of his ability to understand.

“I appreciate his sense of humor and ability to empathize with me,” Tufts said. “I like that he is confident in himself and knows how to make me smile.

“I am excited for Valentine’s Day because I feel like I will feel a sense of belonging and will appreciate the security of him. I will appreciate having someone to fall back on.”

This will be the couple’s first holiday focused on relationships. They talked about how most relationships have Valentine’s Day figured out, but they are going to take it all in and embrace it together.

“It might be too soon to get each other an expensive gift, but getting each other something cute and meaningful would be very nice and well deserved,” Chally said.

Chris and Roger

Chris Wise, professor and adviser in the apparel, merchandising and design program, has been married to her husband Roger for 24 years.

On Valentine’s Day, they usually take a dinner date, depending on what day of the week it falls on.

“So with Valentine’s Day on a Tuesday, we will probably do a dinner date the weekend before or after,” Wise said. “We’re ‘old,’ so when we leave work at 6 p.m., we like to settle down at home.”

Wise appreciates her husband because of the way he keeps her entertained and makes her laugh. She said they both love gardening, going to art fairs and traveling together.

Wise said it’s more about letting her husband know he is appreciated every single day of the year.

“For Valentine’s Day he usually receives a card, a sweet treat from the café, and I try to have flowers in the house.  It is the dead of winter after all, so flowers are nice,” Wise said.

Erica and Cameron

Erica Cyko and her boyfriend Cameron have been dating for a little over a year. Last Valentine’s Day they went to a nice Italian restaurant and then went back to Cyko’s home and she baked homemade treats for him.

“Sadly, this year, we won’t be able to see each other,” Cyko said. “Neither one of us is able to fly to come and visit. We will definitely FaceTime and send letters in the mail so we have a little something special to open on that day.” 

Even though they live 1,500 miles apart, she said he still makes her feel special. In high school he was very active in watching her sporting events, and she feels grateful he was and still is her No. 1 fan.

“He supports me with whatever I do, and when I get stressed or overwhelmed, he is the first one to tell me things will be OK,” Cyko said. “Most of all, I appreciate the fact that he loves me and isn’t afraid to show me or tell me that.”

For Cyko, having a significant other makes Valentine’s Day becomes way more special.

“It’s a time to appreciate one another and go the extra distance for them,” Cyko said. “Valentine’s Day used to not mean anything to me, but now it’s a day I get to spend dedicated to someone that I care a lot about.”