The future of American Indian Studies continues to develop

ISD

ISD

Emily Hammer

Although Iowa State has one of the oldest American Indian Studies programs in the country, operating since 1972, it is still only offered as a minor.

Sebastian Braun, director of American Indian Studies and associate professor of anthropology, would like to see that changed and expand the American Indian Studies program.

Braun has only been lending his knowledge to Iowa State for a year and a half but has years of previous experience in American Indian Studies at other universities.

During his lecture Friday afternoon, Braun discussed where the program is now and where he’d like to see it go in the coming years.

Opening with a discussion on Vine Deloria Jr., Braun mentioned “workshop anthropologists,” whom Deloria criticized in his book “Custer Died For Your Sins” for using Native Americans to exploit their own careers.

Braun takes this book as inspiration to do the exact opposite by teaching American Indian Studies from a humanistic perspective and develop more courses.

“American Indian Studies does not need to give up humanistic pursuits, nor should it,” Braun said.

In doing this, Braun hopes to emphasize that “Native people are contemporary and modern.”

He said the loss of humanities is the loss of creativity, a deep understanding of the world, ethics and an understanding of what it is to be human.

Braun also wants to see more Native students and faculty at Iowa State. He wants to work with a recruiter to bring in more Native students but hopes to soon see more Native faculty in areas outside of American Indian Studies.

The administration is actively trying to listen and help, Braun said, which makes a difference to him versus an administration that actively tries not to listen, as was the case in a previous position.

“We need more ties to a host of other programs on campus,” Braun said in regard to ways to expand the American Indian Studies program.

He added that the best student he ever had was an electrical engineering major.

One of his solutions to draw more people into the American Indian Studies program is to communicate and teach in ways that are more interesting to people.

Ultimately, Braun feels that without historical knowledge, “We cannot understand why things are the way they are,” which is driving him to increase the awareness of the American Indian Studies program.

Rachel Tucker, treasurer of the United Native American Student Association (UNASA), liked seeing Braun’s plans for cooperation and involvement across campus.

“It was helpful for me because I didn’t know any of the issues we’re facing,” Tucker said. “It was nice to see where we’re trying to go with the program.

Ivory Hanson, president of UNASA, agrees. She added that it’s important for American Indian Studies to be more visible to students at Iowa State.

“These issues are important to native students and non-Native students,” Hanson said.