Club brings sparkle to Iowa State

Emily Blobaum/Iowa State Daily

A member of the Iowa State Sparkles Squad is lifted by the club’s co-presidents, Hali Weimerskirch, senior in early childhood education and Mara Mapes, sophomore in child, adult and family services. 

Keaton Lane

A new organization on campus is using dancing and cheerleading to bring a little extra sparkle to the Ames community.

The Iowa State Sparkles Squad is an all-inclusive cheer and dance squad for adults with disabilities and ISU students. The group is part of The Sparkle Effect, a nation-wide initiative that promotes cheerleading and dance teams that include people with disabilities.

Hali Weimerskirch, senior in early childhood education, and Mara Mapes, sophomore in child, adult and family services, are the co-presidents and founders of the Iowa State Sparkles Squad. Both were involved with The Sparkle Effect in high school and enjoyed the experience so much that they wanted to bring the initiative to Iowa State.

Weimerskirch was a member of the original Sparkle Effect team in Pleasant Valley, Iowa.

“I originally started just because you go into it thinking that you’re there to help them,” Weimerskirch said. “But really it’s not like that at all. You’re helping each other. They’re teaching you a lot, just as much as you are teaching them.”

The group includes members with and without disabilities, but emphasizes that everyone on the team is equal. While most of the The Sparkle Effect teams are for high schoolers, the Iowa State Sparkles Squad consists of adults. Their goal is to create an inclusive environment, where the members can come together, make connections and establish friendships while cheering on the Cyclones.

“I kind of think it makes the women that do have special needs feel like they don’t. They’re just like us,” said Caitlin Raymon, junior in biology. “We’ll get to practice and we’ll have conversations about our day, or about work and they’ll join in. I don’t feel like I’m hanging out with anyone different than me, which is what The Sparkle Effect is all about.”

The group practices once a week and performs throughout the year at various events. The members learn various ISU cheers, basic stunts and dance routines. They have also created posters in support of the Iowa State Cheerleading Squad, and have done a number of different group activities.

“I would probably say one good reason to join Sparkles probably would be that you would have a lot of fun doing it,” said Erin Goldsmith, Sparkles member. “You would probably be able to get a couple good workouts in.”