This week in news

Eric Wirth

Here’s a recap of the week’s biggest stories. Read the quick recap below, then test your knowledge with our online quiz here.

Candidates flock to Ames before the caucus

Wednesday saw candidates pouring into Ames, either in person or through surrogates, to bolster support before Monday’s caucus.

Mike Huckabee could be found at Jeff’s Pizza between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. and spoke to a crowd of about 50 people.

At the same time, Justin Long, Brendan Hines and Jonathan Sadowski were talking with students outside of the University Bookstore in the Memorial Union. The three actors were in Ames to rally supporters for Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders in advance of this upcoming Monday’s caucus.

Martin O’Malley, the former Maryland governor, took the stage, or stool rather, at 7:45 p.m. Wednesday at Torrent Brewing Company to talk with his supporters. O’Malley touched on the topics of gun control, the economy and education before imploring his supporters to stand strong during the first alignment of the Iowa Caucuses. 

Iowa State tops Kansas in men’s basketball

While Kansas was in control for the first half of its game against Iowa State on Monday, leading by seven points at the half, the Cyclones came alive in the second half to beat the Jayhawks 85-72.

“Under the 16 (minute media) timeout, they dominated the second half,” said Kansas coach Bill Self.

Iowa State outscored Kansas 49-29 in the final frame and shot 64.3 percent from the field in the half to blow past a top-five team for the second consecutive Monday.

Flint, Mich. water crisis brought to light

Tuesday saw Genesee County, which holds in it the city of Flint, Mich, thrown into a state of emergency. Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder made the declaration in regards to the city’s drinking water, which has been contaminated with high levels of lead for more than a year.

Not only is the state government getting involved, but the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Michigan is also getting its hands into the case. 

The contamination began after Flint began receiving water from the Flint River rather than Lake Huron. The city said then that it was a temporary, cost-cutting measure.

However, soon after, Flint residents reported that they were beginning to see oddly colored tap water, and studies showed that lead piping used to move the water had caused the lead level of the water to rise nearly tenfold. 

Officials have since said they would be switching back to the Detroit water supply, which they had previously used. 

Dance Marathon raises more than $350,000

Dance Marathon, the annual fundraiser aimed at providing money to fund Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, hosted its 24-hour dance party Friday and Saturday. 

This year’s campaign, the 19th at Iowa State, raised a total of $362,854.19. 

Children who benefit from the money attended the event, one of whom was Halle Arenholz, who dressed for the night as an ISU cheerleader.

“My favorite part was the fashion show,” Arenholz said. 

Her family attended the event with her and were extremely grateful for the support given by Iowa State’s student body. 

“[Dance Marathon] is awesome,” said Todd Arenholz, Halle Arenholz’s father. “It’s our first time at Iowa State because our daughter goes to school here now.”

More than $3.2 million has been raised for the program since it began at Iowa State. Preparations for next year, the 20th year, have already begun. 

Potbelly Subs is coming to Ames

The popular sandwich shop, Potbelly Subs, will soon be found in Ames, right next to Barefoot Campus Outfitters.

Paul Goldammer, the franchise owner and owner of a Potbelly Subs in Sioux Falls, S.D., said he’s ready to bring Potbelly to Ames, adding that he believes it’s not like every other sandwich shop.

“[Potbelly] always goes the extra step,” Goldammer said.

Jenna Hlavaty, freshman in animal science, said Potbelly is one of her favorite places, but not for the sandwiches.

“Their shakes are the best I’ve had,” she said.

While the menu is expected to be limited on opening day, Goldammer plans to be up and running at full capacity in short order. 

Potbelly Subs’ menu is available online for viewing before opening. There’s also a store locator in case anyone needs a fix after going back home for the summer.