Cyclones fall to Texas Tech in overtime

Claire Ricketts, redshirt freshman forward, cheers for the Cyclones during their win against Kansas on Jan. 9 at Hilton Coliseum. ISU won 65-49.

Trey Alessio

It took overtime to take down the ISU women’s basketball team, but Texas Tech took care of business on Sunday.

Iowa State started with the momentum on its side. Freshman Bridget Carleton scored five quick points to start the game. The Cyclones went 4-5 from the field to start the game, and Carleton had seven of Iowa State’s 19 first quarter points.

The Cyclones went on a scoring drought in the middle of the second quarter and allowed Texas Tech to stay in the game. At the end of the first half, Iowa State led Texas Tech, 30-27.

Texas Tech took back the momentum right out of the gates in the second half. The Lady Raiders scored nine straight points to start the third quarter.

The turning point in regulation for Iowa State may have come midway through the third quarter when Texas Tech committed a technical foul on junior Seanna Johnson.

The Lady Raiders got a convincing lead, but Iowa State cut Texas Tech’s lead to eight at the end of the third quarter.

Iowa State capped off a run in the fourth quarter when redshirt sophomore Jadda Buckley nailed a trey to tie the game up, 55-55. Texas Tech went on scoring drought for over four minutes, which allowed Iowa State to fight its way back.

Johnson scored two at the line to put the Cyclones up, 57-55 with 3:58 remaining in regulation, but Texas Tech wouldn’t give the game away.

The Lady Raiders tied it up with 1:51 left in the game. Carleton broke the tie with a jumper and again with a layup to put Iowa State up 61-59 with 21 seconds left in the game.

Texas Tech’s Dayo Olabode headed to the line after being fouled and sunk both free throws to tie the game and send it into overtime.

The Lady Raiders controlled most of overtime. It all came down to a play where Johnson was called for a charge with 4.7 seconds to go. Texas Tech made its free throws and beat Iowa State, 69-66.

Johnson finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds, notching her 25th career double-double. Carleton finished with 16 points, which kept her as the only freshman in the Big 12 to score 10 or more points in every conference game.

Freshman Meredith Burkhall also tied a career-high with eight rebounds in Iowa State’s first game without Bryanna Fernstrom. ISU coach Bill Fennelly announced she requested a transfer last Monday. Despite the loss of Fernstrom, Iowa State was able to snag 38 rebounds as a team.

The Cyclones will head to Stillwater, Okla., on Wednesday, Jan. 20 to take on the Oklahoma State Cowgirls at 7 p.m.