LUCHA supports Leath

ISD

ISD

Adam Sodders

An Ames-based Latino community organization praised President Steven Leath for his recent rhetoric on race issues at Iowa State in a statement Monday. 

Latinos Unidos for Change (LUCHA) released a three-point response to Leath’s Nov. 20 letter to the university discussing racism and calling for conversation.

“We really like that [Leath] made a public statement right before [Thanksgiving] break,” said Juan Duchimaza, graduate student in chemistry and LUCHA member.

In his letter, Leath discussed the existence of racism, bigotry and discrimination on college campuses in society. He also said ignoring the presence of negative attitudes at Iowa State would not help anyone.

The LUCHA statement also referred to the Sept. 30 public forum that took place between Leath and multicultural students.

“[The forum] showed that [Leath] was willing to listen to the concerns of student of color,” Duchimaza said. “I believe that for President Leath to be willing to listen is a great step.”

The release also praised the appointment of ISU police officer Dwight Hinson as Multicultural Student Affairs liaison. It noted that LUCHA looks forward to working with Hinson and opening conversations about race and ethnicity.

Another topic mentioned was the requested diversity training for faculty, staff and students.

“[LUCHA] would not ask [for diversity training] if we didn’t feel there was a genuine and urgent need,” the release reads.

The release mentioned concerns surrounding diversity training, including time-consumption and making some participants uncomfortable.

Duchimaza said he is excited for a more open discussion about race and ethnicity at Iowa State. Leath’s willingness to speak on such issues is important, he said.

“It’s good to know there is something happening,” Duchimaza said. “Coming from the president, the rhetoric carries a lot of weight.”