Letter to the editor: Campus ministers use hate speech to spread message

Sister Pat of Campus Ministry USA speaks to students in the free speech zone outside Parks Library Nov. 2.

The seemingly yearly tradition of the arrival of Brother Jed and his ministry to Iowa State University (“Campus Ministry USA visits free-speech zone”) has once again left me in disbelief.

As stated in the article, Campus Ministry USA’s mission is to “declare the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the college and university students of America and the world,” their self-described mission of declaring the Gospel to students is putting it very lightly to say the least.

The article more than likely accurately portrayed the events of that day, but it fits into Campus USA Ministry’s narrative that they are having “conversations” that are rational and positive. His “conversations” are anything but positive.

Brother Jed himself describes his methods as “confrontational evangelism”. They have been known to openly harass passersby on campuses across the nation. The article fails to note that on his “missions,” Brother Jed and his associates frequently use language that borders on hate speech or is hate speech outright.

I don’t know what Brother Jed was taught, but growing up I was taught to treat everyone with respect and dignity. Brother Jed and Campus Ministry USA’s frequent denigration of the LGBTQ community is neither respectful nor dignified. Their speech and actions are nothing but sensationalism, as evidenced by frequently telling students that they “deserve hell” for alleged sins.

Further investigation of Brother Jed and Campus Ministry USA’s website will yield more offensive ideals they continue to propagate, including claiming that the Koran is “corrupt,” a statement that will surely offend fellow students who are Muslims here at Iowa State University.

They also claim that mental illness is a myth and host materials claiming that research has failed to show any biological cause for psychiatric conditions and that a diagnosis can never be confirmed. Brother Jed himself writes that it is his “…understanding that what is labeled as mental illness is usually misconduct.” I especially find his thoughts on this subject personally offensive.

Whenever Brother Jed and Campus Ministry USA make their appearance here, they should not be met with laughter and derision, as it will only embolden them to continue their mission. Instead they must be actively protested against and their premises from their hateful statements must be challenged. The community at large should not give this group a pass just because it occurred in a “free speech zone.”