This week in news

Fred Hoiberg speaks at his last Iowa State press conference in Hilton Coliseum on Friday, June 5, 2015.

Alex Hanson

Read this weeks news recap below, then test your knowledge in the news quiz here.

Oregon school shooting kills 10

As many as 10 people were killed and several others were injured after a gunman opened fire at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Ore. on Thursday, according to state officials.

The shootings were first called into police just after 10:30 a.m. local time, and the gunman was later killed after a shootout with police. The shooter was identified late Thursday night as 26-year-old Chris Harper Mercer, according to police.

Witness accounts from several other news organizations painted a chaotic picture of the shooting. Kortney Moore, an 18-year-old student at the school, told the News-Review newspaper in Roseburg, that she was sitting in class when her teacher was shot in the head. She also said that the gunman told students to get on the ground, but then asked them to stand up and state their religion.

At the White House, President Obama said “thoughts and prayers” are not enough. He also said that America is the only advanced country that does not have sufficient gun safety laws and said the majority of Americans want something done.

According to Everytown for Gun Safety, a group advocating for stronger gun control laws, the Thursday mass shooting in Oregon was the 45th so far in 2015.

Hoiberg and Pollard dispute Ames Tribune story

Former Iowa State Men’s Basketball Coach Fred Hoiberg and Athletic Director Jamie Pollard disputed a story written by the Ames Tribune on Wednesday, saying that Pollard’s practices within the department contributed to Hoiberg leaving Iowa State in June.

“I have absolutely zero issues with how [Jamie Pollard] ran our basketball program. I have a great relationship with Jamie,” Hoiberg said on Des Moines’ 1460 KXNO-AM.

In an interview with the Daily, Pollard said Hoiberg spoke with the Tribune reporter Travis Hines almost three weeks ago around the Cy-Hawk game and told him that the accusations made in the story were not true.

“So if Fred Hoiberg told you three weeks ago it wasn’t true, doesn’t it make you kind of scratch your head and say, ‘Gosh, what’s the motive to all this?'” Pollard said.

Congress averts government shutdown

Congress was able to avert another government shutdown on Wednesday by passing a short-term spending bill that would fund the government through mid-December.

Many were concerned the House or Senate would fail to fund the government past Thursday’s midnight deadline as Republicans wanted to attach defunding of Planned Parenthood to the must-pass spending bill.

The bill passed Wednesday did not defund the women’s health organization.

Both of Iowa’s U.S. senators, Joni Ernst and Chuck Grassley, said they supported defunding the organization, but voted for the bill. Iowa’s U.S. Reps. Steve King and Rod Blum voted against the bill, while U.S. Reps. Dave Loebsack and David Young voted for it.

The averted shutdown also comes less than a week after House Speaker John Boehner announced he would retire. 

Multicultural students host forum

At a forum on Wednesday night, Iowa State multicultural students had the opportunity to present recommendations to university administration on how to deal with what they say is a daily occurrence of discrimination on campus.

Iowa State President Steven Leath, Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill and Dean of Students Pamela Anthony listened to students tell their stories, including physical and verbal altercations at Cy-Hawk protests earlier this month – the event which sparked the forum.

Recommendations included everything from more training for faculty and staff, more diversity among police and even smaller recommendations; such as artwork that appeals to minorities and renaming buildings.

Blood Moon

The “blood moon”–or in technical terms, a total lunar eclipse–filled the sky this past week, providing those with a clear view a great opportunity for photos across the country.

You will have to wait awhile for another event like this. The next opportunity to see it is not until 2033.