Student’s Guide to Staying Off Campus: Essentials

Paige.Teh .Com

College students making the move from the dorms to off campus apartments are likely to face a big question: What else do I need?  

There’s everything from the dorm; and then there’s the new additions that are still sitting on the aisle of a store, waiting to be picked up. 

The difference between staying in the dorm and staying off campus isn’t drastic,  but it’s always better to be well prepared in order to avoid those ‘I wish I’d thought of buying that’ moments.

Bathroom Supplies

Gone are the days of sharing a bathroom with 40 other people on the same residence floor.

Having a private bathroom presents a new need for hygienic supplies. “I’ve always used disposable disinfectant wipes to clean my toilet. It saves time and does the job.” said Bei Wei Ch’ng, Junior in Dietetics.

Ch’ng recommends students to buy a plunger as the toilet or sink is bound to clog up on some days so it’s always better to be safe than sorry.

“It’s good to be equipped with basic fixing skills too. It’ll save a lot of time rather than waiting for the maintenance man.”

Bedroom Decor

“Students probably need new bedsheets because the ones from the dorms aren’t going to fit. They’re extra long twin beds since they want to save space in dorms.” said Tyler Fjelstad, Senior in Architecture.

“I had to buy a new bed and dresser when I moved from Fredericksen Court into an apartment,” said Samantha Scott, Junior in Dietetics. “Oh, I also brought more pictures and pillows to make my room pretty.”

Students can use this opportunity to personalize their own room according to taste and create a comfortable living environment.

Cooking Utensils

“Students can go on Iowa State’s ‘Free & For Sale’ Facebook page to get lightly used kitchen utensils and electronics for a fair price. They can then resell it to other students after they no longer need it.” said Shir Linn Tan, Junior in Electrical Engineering.

“Other apps like ‘letgo’ is useful to search what people are selling around you, and it’s easy to use too. The only downside is that you have to contact them and pick it up yourself,” Tan said.

“I picked up a measuring cup, strainer and a grater for $1 each at Dollar Tree the other day. I must say it works pretty well for the price,” said Audrey Susai, Junior in Public Relations.

Power Cords & Lighting

“Students should get power strips and extension cords as the room is bigger when you move into an apartment. It’s just easier to charge all your electronic devices while having them within your reach.” Susai said. 

“Also, try to have a few spare lightbulbs in the storeroom. You never know when a bulb is going to burn out.“

Drinking Water

Water dispensers can be easily found in residence halls. Students who are not fond of drinking from the tap are usually seen stocking up bottles of drinking water. However, mineral water can become pricey in the long run.

“We always have students asking if there are any distilled water gallons left. It runs out pretty fast,” said LeAnna Kay Saxon, a manager in Walmart.

“But for a cheaper option, I would suggest buying water pitchers with filters. It’s more environmental friendly too compared to mineral water that comes in plastic bottles.”

These pitchers can remove chlorine taste and odor, as well as filter out harmful contaminants found in tap water.

Transport

“Biking every day gives me a little workout before and after class, and exercise sharpens my mind and makes me feel ready for the day! That’s why I love biking everyday. “ said Brienna Ross, Sophomore in Animal Science.

“However, if the weather is bad, I will take CyRide. It is a very easy to use system to use and they offer the schedules for different routes online, making it really easy to navigate your way around Ames.” Ross said. 

“I use CyRide to travel to school every day. Although I have a car, it is more convenient to take the bus to classes as there’s always no parking, and you need a permit to park on campus.” said Tan.