Awards ceremony honors faculty, staff

Kelsey Palmros

Monday Sept. 21, at 3:30 p.m., Iowa State University recognized faculty and staff members during the 2015 Awards Ceremony. The ceremony was hosted by President Steven Leath to acknowledge excellence within the university. 

Nominees were positioned on the main stage facing the audience in order of how the awards were presented. 

Family, colleagues, and friends gathered in the Great Hall of Memorial Union as faculty and staff members walked to the front of the stage, shook hands, and were presented their award. 

“Iowa State University prides itself on the outstanding work of its faculty and staff. We are pleased to recognize many of these achievements,” said President Steven Leath.

Following the award ceremony was a reception with food and beverages for faculty, staff and their families, which offered them an opportunity to connect with one another. 

President Steven Leath presented the awards for Distinguished Professor, University Professor, Morrill Professor, Regents Award for Faculty Excellence and Regents Award for Staff Excellence.

All recipients received verbal recognition and a plaque symbolizing their achievement.

Distinguished Professor Award Recipients:

Stephen Howell, professor of genetics, development and cell biology.

Daniel Nettleton, professor of statistics.

Brent Shanks, Mike and Jean Steffenson professor of chemical biological engineering.

University Professor Award Recipients:

Drena Dobbs, professor of genetics, development and cell biology.

Derrick Rollins, professor of chemical and biological engineering and statistics.

Diane Rover, professor of electrical and computer engineering.

Morrill Professor Award Recipients:

Kristen Constant, Wilkinson professor of interdisciplinary engineering chair in the department of materials science and engineering.

Craig Ogilvie, professor of physics and astronomy.

Brad Shrader, professor of management.

Dawn Bratsch-Prince, associate provost for faculty, recognized the recipients of the Board of Regents awards, who will be recognized formally later this year.

Regents Award for Faculty Excellence Award Recipients:

Gregory Courtney, professor of entology.

Christopher Tuggle, professor of animal science.

Michael Yaeger, professor of veterinary pathology.

Regents Award for Staff Excellence Award Recipients:

James Coyle, director of high performance computing operations, information technology services, academic technologies.

Garland Dahlke, assistant scientist III, Roy J. Carber department of biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology.

Chitra Rajan, associate vice president for research.

Award for Outstanding Achievement in Teaching Recipients:

Alan Constant, senior lecturer in the department of materials science and engineering.

Mark Hargrove, professor of biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology.

Locke Karriker, associate professor of veterinary diagnostic and production animal medicine and the Dr. Douglas and Ann Gustafson Professorship for Teaching Excellence in Veterinary Medicine.

Louis Thompson Distinguished Undergraduate Teaching Award Recipient:

Alan Constant, senior lecturer at the department of materials science and engineering.

James Huntington Ellis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Introductory Teaching Recipient:

Alexander Stoytchev, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering.

Early Achievement in Teaching Award Recipients:

Brianna Burke, assistant professor of English.

Jodi Goble, senior lecturer at the department of music and theatre.

Margaret Ellen White Graduate Faculty Award:

Joel Coats, Charles F. Curtiss Distinguished Professor of entomology and toxicology.

Departmental Leadership Award Recipient:

Paul Lasley, professor and chair at the departments of sociology and anthropology.

Early Achievement in Departmental Leadership Recipient:

Jo Anne Powell-Coffman, professor and chair at the department of genetics, development, and cell biology.

Senior Vice President for Student Affairs Tom Hill presented the International Service Award, Award for Academic Advising Impact and the Award for Early Achievement in Academic Advising.

International Service Award:

Linda Hagedorn, associate dean of the College of Human Sciences and professor in the School of Education.

Academic Advising Impact Award Recipients:

Carol Cordell, academic adviser II in the department of kinesiology.

Constance Ringlee, senior lecturer in the department of English.

Early Achievement in Academic Advising Recpient:

Shannon Grundmeier, academic adviser II at the College of Business

Vice President for Research Sarah Nusser presented the Award for Outstanding Achievement in Research, Award for Mid-Career Achievement in Research and Award for early Achievement in Research.

Outstanding Achievement in Research:

Balaji Narasimhan, Vlasta Klima Balloun professor of chemical and biological engineering and associate dean at the College of Engineering.

Kejin Wang, professor of civil, construction and environmental engineering.

Mid-Career Achievement in Research Recipients:

Lance Baumgard, professor of animal science and Norman Jacobson Professorship in Dairy Science.

Massimo Marengo, associate professor of physics and astronomy.

Early Achievement in Research Award Recipients:

Yehua Li, associate professor of statistics.

Jason Ross, associate professor of animal science and Lloyd L. Anderson Endowed Professorship in Physiology.

Professional and Scientific Research Award Recipient:

Thomas Koschny, associate, scientist at the Ames Laboratory and adjunct assistant professor of physics and astronomy.

Michael Crum, vice president for economic development and business engagement, presented the Award for Achievement in Intellectual Property and the Award for Achievement in Economic Development in Iowa.

Achievement in Intellectual Property Recipient:

Patrick Halbur, professor and chair of the Department of Veterinary Diagnostic and Production Animal Medicine

Achievement in Economic Development in Iowa Recipient:

Judi Eyles, assistant director, ISU Pappajohn Center for Entrepreneurship interim director.

Pamela Cain, associate vice president for business and finance presented the Professional and Scientific Excellence Award, Carroll Ringgenberg Award, and Professional and Scientific Outstanding New Professional Award.

Professional and Scientific Excellence Award Recipients:

Ronald Ackerman, director of Graduate Admissions and Student Services at the College of Business.

Lesia Oesterreic, family life specialist in the Human Sciences Extension and Outreach.

Nancy Qvale, administrative specialist III in the department of civil, construction and environment engineering.

Carroll Ringgenberg Award Recipient:

Julie Larson- Director of Out Reach and Events, Iowa State University Alumni Association

Professional and Scientific Outstanding New Professional Award Recipients:

Kathryn Ann Goudy-Haht, program coordinator II in the department of human development and family studies.

Christopher Neary, communications specialist III in the department of civil construction, and environmental engineering.

Harrison Inefuku, librarian II at Parks Library.

Vice President for Extension and Outreach Cathann Kress presented the Award for Distinguished Service in Extension, Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extension of Professional Practice, Award for Early Achievement in Extension or Professional Practice and the R.K. Bliss Extension Award.

Award for Outstanding Achievement in Extension or Professional Practice Recipient:

Kathleen Delate, professor of horticulture and agronomy and organic agriculture specialist with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.

Award for Early Achievement in Extension or Professional Practice Recipient:

Ajay Nair, assistant professor horticulture and vegetable production specialist.

R.K. Bliss Extension Award Recipient:

Cheryl Heronemus, regional extension education director.