ISU men’s golf tied for fourth through two rounds at VCU

Sophomore golfer Nick Voke lines up a putt at practice on April 14. At the 2015 Gopher Invitational, Voke led the ISU men’s golf team by tying for 3rd place out of 81 golfers.

Mike Randleman

With two rounds in the books at the Virginia Commonwealth Shootout, the ISU men’s golf team faces an uphill battle in both the team and individual races.

At the end of day one at the CCV Tuckahoe Creek Course in Richmond, Va., Iowa State is tied for fourth place after posting a four-over-par total of 580 (289+291).

Iowa State trails leader James Madison by 13 shots, which owns a nine-shot lead on second place.

In the individual race, junior Nick Voke was in the top five for most of the day until a couple late bogeys in round two dropped him to a tie for 11th with a 1-under-par total of 143 (71+72).

Voke trails leader Tom Harris of Maryland by eight strokes.

Just behind Voke is junior Jack Carter, who is pursuing his first career top-10 finish. Carter is tied for 15th place at even-par for the tournament with a pair of 72s to his name.

At three-over-par (72+75) is Ruben Sondjaja. With seven birdies to 10 bogeys, Sondjaja had a volatile day en route to tying for 31st.

Redshirt junior Collin Foster is tied for 41st with scores of 72 and 77.

In his second collegiate start, freshman Jon Hudson is tied for 51st out 83 golfers after scores of 74 and 77.

Competing as an individual in his collegiate debut was freshman Conner Koberg. Koberg is in 71st place with scores of 77 and 79.

The third and final round is set for a shotgun start on Tuesday, beginning at 7:45 a.m. Iowa State will compete alongside Chattanooga and North Carolina-Greensboro.