Motion Sickness Dance Team set to perform at Great Hall

Parker Reed

Motion Sickness Dance Team is looking to throwback not only to the ’50s but past performances in their upcoming performance “Flashback to the ’50s” this on April 4.

The Motion Sickness Dance Team was formed in 2013 when Webster Kranto, senior in industrial technology, was in search of a dance team on the Iowa State Campus, and after looking into the different groups, none peaked his interest. This led Kranto to create his own dance team, one that would support all of his different ideas.

“We differentiate ourselves from other groups by being a diverse group of hard working people utilizing many different dance styles,” said Tiara Turner, sophomore in industrial engineering and an original member of the team.

Unlike other groups on campus, Motion Sickness prides itself on featuring students with many different skill levels as well as educational interests as members of the group major in everything from electrical engineering to English.

Along with being the founder, Kranto also serves as the group’s lead choreographer and primary music mixer. Kranto is inspired by rhythm more than anything else when developing the routines, which he developed a liking for when listening to music with his elders.

“The key components to most of our routines are fast tempos and high energy. If the music allows you to stop and breath, then it’s not right for us,” Kranto said.

The team currently performs anywhere from seven to 10 times during the academic school year.

“It seems like the longer the group is around, the more shows we’ll do a year,” Turner said.

Many of Motion Sickness’ shows revolve around a theme, like November’s “The Zombie Awakening,” which featured all of the dancers in full makeup and costume.

“There is always an overall theme but we take breaks from it throughout the show, visiting more of today’s music, but rarely radio or TV hits,” Kranto said.

Motion Sickness’ newest show is entitled “Flashback to the 50’s” and will focus on songs from that time period as well as serving as a sendoff show for Kranto, who is graduating this spring. 

The Motion Sickness Dance Team is performing “Flashback to the 50’s” on April 4 in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Admission is $6 at the door and the show begins at 7 p.m.