ISU music professors quartet to perform in Amara Piano Quartet

Courtesy of George Work

ISU music professors quartet will perform

Lani Tons

Four Iowa State music professors not only spend their time teaching and mentoring students but also have another passion of their own — the Amara Piano Quartet.

The Amara Piano Quartet will perform at 7:30 p.m. April 12 in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. Members of the quartet are professors Boro Martinic (violin), Jonathan Sturm (viola), George Work (cello) and Mei-Hsuan Huang (piano).

“The quartet performs two full concerts per year on campus, plus various other appearances for events such as the fall Music Department Gala concert, the spring Scholarship Musicale and others,” Work said. “The number of off-campus performances per year varies widely.”

The Amara Piano Quartet originated in 1976 and has performed throughout the United States as well as overseas.

“I have had the opportunity to play hundreds of concerts throughout North America, as well as in France, Austria, Russia, Taiwan, South Africa and Cuba,” Work said.

“I have also recorded 14 commercially released recordings of piano quartet repertoire. I would almost certainly have not had comparable opportunities otherwise.”

The quartet’s main style of music is classical. Some audience members may hear this style of music for the first time from a small ensemble.

“Each of our concerts is a unique experience. We repeat music only every five or more years. So for students currently on campus, this may be the only time to hear these pieces performed professionally during your years at ISU,” Sturm said.

Attendees can expect a sound different than what they hear through a recording of the quartet. The musicians must stay focused not only on the music but each other to stay in time.

“Being present with others to hear live music lends a feeling of community and of spontaneity that a recording can’t have — Chamber music heightens both these aspects,” Work said.

“The performing group is small and the audience can see and hear the performers interacting with each other, almost as if having a conversation.”

Sturm believes their consistent practice and rehearsing will result in a concert to remember. The comfort level with each member results in a strong quartet and a well thought-out performance.

“The program will feature the music of Wolfgang Mozart and Gabriel Fauré, along with a Fantasy by British composer Frank Bridge. We rehearse to bring a cohesive and compelling performance of each composition to the stage,” Sturm said.

With an intermission, the performance should last about an hour. During that hour, Sturm looks forward to the reaction from the audience.

Their music elicits a response of new insights on what classical music is and what it will become in the future.

“The music invites the listener to sit back, relax and enjoy the sound of world class chamber music. Some of the music is very romantic, with a colorful and warm sonority,” Sturm said.

“We rehearse on average six hours each week and then perform on concert series across the nation. [We] record compact discs and seek opportunities to perform overseas as well.”

Sturm is excited to share his hard work and passion during the concert. He wants to show the audience why it is viewed as one of the top piano quartets in the nation.

“We love to share music with our audiences and hope also to reach some new audience members who are curious about this concert, and turn them on to great music for a lifetime. We welcome all students who are curious about what makes some pieces of classical music great,” Sturm said.

The performance is open to the general public with free admission on the night of March 13.