Letter: Support for GSB President

In the Jan. 20 issue of the Iowa State Daily, former GSB Election Commissioner Adam Guenther wrote a letter attacking the current Student Body President Hillary Kletscher and Vice President Mike Hoefer. The accusation was that they both engaged in bribery, “buying votes,” and other unethical behaviors.

I first met GSB President Kletscher while she was campaigning and she came across as genuinely concerned about students. I had no clue about GSB untill I met her. I admit that I did vote for her due to the fact that she and Mike took the time to reach out to me as a new student. During the VEISHEA task force meetings, I observed her making a tough but necessary decision to support retiring VEISHEA.

While we have a lot that we disagree on, she has always shown me courtesy and respect. The notion that President Kletscher is “in this for herself” is ludicrous. The only people on GSB who appear to be “in it for themselves” are the few senators who have spent the entirety of the fall semester nitpicking and plotting to bring President Kletscher down because of the fact that they are sore losers.

Again, while I may not agree with her on everything, I have the utmost respect for her. For instance, she encouraged me to get involved with GSB. Even after I encountered opposition and became frustrated with the process and pettiness of some senators, President Kletscher listened to me and provided constructive criticism to my approach. I never received this from the Senate.

The problem with GSB is not President Kletscher, but a senate that spends too much time trying to pick a fight with her rather than work for the students who elected them. Thank you President Kletscher for all you have done for ISU students.