ISU tennis prepares for Florida Gulf Coast Invitational

Jen Hao Wong/Iowa State Daily

Junior Ksenia Pronina serves while partner freshman Samantha Budai waits for the return during Iowa State’s 7-0 win over North Dakota on Jan. 31 at Ames Racquet and Fitness Center.

Brian Mozey

The ISU tennis team will play under clear skies and 75-degree weather this weekend in the Florida Gulf Coast Invitational.

The event will serve mainly as a way for ISU coach Armando Espinosa to figure out his rotation for the upcoming regular season.

The team hasn’t played matches since Nov. 2, and the players are excited to play against some tougher opponents.

“I’m looking forward to playing this weekend, but I’m also using this tournament as a way to get ready for the regular season,” said sophomore Samantha Budai.

The Florida Gulf Coast Invitational is the last tournament of winter. The players are competing not only against the competition, but against one another, for a spot in singles and doubles.

“I have an idea of who will be in our lineup, but it’s also depending on who worked out over the break and the injuries that occur,” Espinosa said.

Each player has weaknesses that they will be focusing on this weekend to improve themselves for the regular season, which begins in two weeks.

“Move, move, move, that’s the most important thing of all to practice,” said senior Ksenia Pronina. “You need to get your feet set and have the mobility to anticipate anything.”

The team as a unit also has goals it hopes to achieve throughout the three-day invitational.

“There’s going to be long rallies, so we need to be ready to keep the volley alive,” Budai said. “We also need to be consistent with our strategy and game to win every point.”

Freshmen Anna Garcia and Liera Bender are the only players not participating in Florida. Garcia is recovering from her back injury during the fall season and Bender is a new recruit who signed in the fall.

Espinosa said he has considered redshirting the two freshmen so they have a full four years to play.

“We want to make sure Anna and Liera are stable in the lineup,” Espinosa said. “If we feel like they can win and be competitive then we’ll put them in, otherwise we’ll use the redshirt option.”

Espinosa confirmed that none of his players have suffered new injuries since the end of winter break, and he’s continuing to push the players harder throughout practice.

“The harder we push them, the better they will be prepared for the invitational and the regular season,” Espinosa said.

The Florida Gulf Coast Invitational starts on Jan. 17 in Fort Meyers, Fla.