Homeless numbers in U.S.

Whitney Lynn/Iowa State Daily

Blankets and winter clothing are being donated to Operation Blanket in drop points around campus. ISU Student Veterans of America are putting on this donation Nov. 4 to Nov. 24.

Michaela Ramm

It may not be seen every day, but it happens. Thousands are left homeless every year with no food, shelter or warmth during the harsh winter months. The numbers can be shocking, but they are truthful to the issue that is taking place in Ames, as well as in the country.

• A survey conducted in Story County by Habitat for Humanity found that nearly 5,900 households’ income was low enough to qualify for a Habitat home.

• As of January of 2013, there were 3,084 homeless individuals in the state of Iowa

• Across the United States in 2013, there were 610,042 homeless individuals.

Efforts to help the homeless, such as Operation Blanket which was created by ISU students, can be made to end the issue.

If you are homeless and need shelter, or know someone who requires assistance, contact the Emergency Residence Project in Ames at 515-232-8075.

Information via the Des Moines Registrar, amesshelter.org and endhomelessness.org.