Assistance animals: What they are, what it takes to own one on campus

Danielle Ferguson

Iowa State University allows students to own assistance animals if the students have a documented medical need for the animal.

There are two types of assistance animals: service and emotional support.

Service animals:

Service animals are trained to perform a specific task for the student. The two animals that can be service animals are dogs and miniature horses.

For example: a seeing-eye dog, a dog that can sense when the owner is about to have an epileptic seizure, etc. The animal is there to help the owner perform daily tasks and is allowed to go wherever the owner goes — in residence halls, classrooms, health facilities and dining centers.

Emotional support:

Emotional support animals are not specifically trained. Their presence alone is what helps the owner get through daily life. Owners could need emotional support animals to help them deal with anxiety, depression or other mental health disorders.

In order for a student to own an emotional support animal in university housing, they must have a documented medical need. An emotional support animal can be any animal.

Iowa State has seen dogs, cats, fish, hamsters and even turtles.

Steps to seek an emotional support animal:

1. Go to the Student Disability Resources office for a consultation. They will help students with the next step.

2. Get documentation. Students must provide documentation that they have a disability. A medical professional must say they need an animal to help their mental health.

3. Give the Department of Residence a heads up. They will need at least 30 days to process everything before a student can move the animal into their university-owned residence hall or apartment.

For more information on emotional support animals and how it has helped at least one ISU student, click here