Letter: GSB discrimination fosters bad reputation on campus

As a student at Iowa State University, I am expecting to be welcomed and included. However, three incidents since the beginning of this semester have caused me to question my expectations. Before the semester started, the former GSB Election Commissioner wrote a letter to the editor subtly suggesting that conservatives and people who disagree with his radical views are not welcome at Iowa State University.

Just today, I was giving my opinion about student activity money and I was told by one of the GSB senators that if I did not like where mandatory student activity fee money was going or how it was being spent, that “I can go to some right-wing college like Hillsdale.” Various other GSB leaders have openly expressed their hostility towards conservative students. However, if I were part of a protected group, I could file a discrimination or bias complaint. Further proof that conservative viewpoints are not protected on this campus is that the Dean of Students Office has the term “social justice” included in its values statement.

For those who are unfamiliar with the term, “social justice” was developed as a nicer way of saying socialism or communism. I feel that it is inappropriate for an administration department charged with presiding over student discipline having a Far-Left slogan in their value statement. When I see it as an outspoken and proud conservative, it sends the message that I need to shut up and keep my views to myself for fear of severe consequences or reprisals if I did voice them.

This letter is saying enough! I pay tuition and fees here and I am a taxpayer. I don’t appreciate student leaders and administrators sending either direct or subtle messages that I am not welcome at Iowa State. I am staying in defiance! This is a great university despite the Leftist hostility and intolerance. I just wish our GSB leaders and administrators would do more to foster an inclusive environment for views that are not politically correct or popular!