First Cyclone Market aids in club fundraising

Maddy Arnold

ISU student organizations will get the chance to participate in their very own farmers market-like event during Cyclone Family Weekend.

The Government of Student Body planned and the Inter-Residence Hall Association sponsored Iowa State’s first-ever Cyclone Market, set to take place this weekend. Around 25 student organizations will get the opportunity to fundraise by selling foods and other goods Sept. 7.

In addition to student vendors, the Cyclone Market — which will be from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Richardson Court courtyard — will include raffles, drinks and a performance from Iowa State’s drum line. Also, the student radio station KURE will provide music throughout the event.

“It’s a really great way for organizations to kind of get their name out there so students know who they are and what they are and can raise some money also,” said Sidney Pezley, IRHA national communications coordinator. “So a lot of different groups are selling different things or kind of displaying what they do. And to piggyback it with Cyclone Family Weekend, hopefully we’ll get a lot of traffic through there.”

The Cyclone Market has a wide variety of student organizations that will be selling products to raise funds for this school year. A total of 23 clubs including the Dairy Science Club, Hope 4 Africa and Dance Marathon will be participating.

Sam Schulte, GSB university affairs committee chairman, said around half of the organizations will be selling food like ice cream and cheese curds at Cyclone Market. The other clubs will be selling products like hand-woven baskets from Kenya and even small plants called succulents.

“We tried to set a purpose of showcasing student organizations and giving them a chance to fundraise,” Schulte said. “This is just GSB’s way of trying to help student organizations and advocate for them, give them a chance to fundraise.”

Schulte said that the idea for a farmer’s market on the ISU campus was that of a GSB Senator who has since graduated. The university affairs committee has since taken on the project and asked student organizations to sell products rather than inviting vendors like a traditional farmers market.

“Originally we thought we were going to bring in outside vendors and kind of have people sell produce and stuff,” Schulte said. “Then we kind of shifted our focus to be more focused on student organizations so now we only have student organizations coming to the event.”

Schulte said that more than 100 student clubs and organizations were invited but only 23 decided to sell products during Cyclone Market. He said that if GSB and IRHA decide to do the event again in the future, they will look into inviting all student organizations.

Pezley said that the reactions of the participating student organizations have been positive. She said they are appreciative of the opportunity to fundraise and gain more exposure for the upcoming year.

“They like to get to do things like this because a lot of times, organizations kind of go unnoticed if there isn’t some sort of broadcasting like that so to have an event that really showcases them and who they are and what they do is really appreciated,” Pezley said.