President Steven Leath announces largest-ever enrollment

Students file into the Hoover Hall auditorium on the first day of classes on Aug. 25, 2014.

Daily Staff

Iowa State had another year of record enrollment year with 34,732 students, announced ISU President Steven Leath at the Board of Regents on Sept. 10.

“The numbers show that Iowa State continues to be a top choice for not only Iowa students but students all over the world,” Leath said. “We’re very proud of the high quality affordable education and what we think is unmatched student experience that has contributed to so many students wanting to come here.”

Iowa State’s 34,000-plus students attending the university this fall is the highest in school history. That number is a 4.5 percent increase — almost 1,500 students — from the previous largest-ever enrollment of 33,241 last fall.

Iowa State also set records for multiculutral, international and nonresident new freshmen numbers this fall, according to a press release from ISU news services.

“This is the most diverse campus we’ve ever had and we’re especially proud of that,” Leath said.

This academic year is the sixth consecutive year of record enrollment and eighth straight year of growth at Iowa State. The university has 28,890 undergraduate students and 4,950 graduate students.

Check back with the iowastatedaily.com for an updated story later Sept. 10 and in Sept. 11’s news.