Summer Music Chamber Recital celebrates 20 years

Stephen Ortiz

As another school year begins and students from all over flood back into Ames and the ISU campus, all of the departments, organizations and clubs are preparing for a year full of events and activities.

One department in particular has a busy lineup of events scheduled for September that students and Ames residents alike should be sure to keep up to date on: the department of music and theater.

With six events remaining for this month and many more planned for the months following, there is bound to be an event for every sort of music or theater lover.

An event that all classical music lovers should have on their calendars is the Summer Music Chamber Recital at 7:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. It is free to the public.

The event,  which is celebrating its 20th anniversary, is organized by world-class pianist Bruce Brubaker of Des Moines Brubaker also founded of the event. He teaches at the New England Conservatory in Boston, but he returns to his home state every year to organize this event and perform in it.

Gregory Oakes, who is part of the Des Moines Symphony and an ISU associate professor, is part of the event for the third year. This year, he is principal clarinet in the piece “Quintet for Clarinet and Strings” by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

“I am always excited to do this,” Oakes said. “This is usually my first concert of my concert year.”

Oakes is very excited to perform the piece by Mozart alongside his colleagues.

“I have been practicing this for more than a decade,” Oakes said.

Oakes knows the piece extremely well and believes it is a great piece of music for the audience to hear.

Caroline Weeks, senior in viola performance and dietetics and nutrition, is also performing at the event. Weeks will be playing viola in the Mozart piece in the event.

“This concert is an amazing opportunity for me and it’s an honor to be able to play on stage with distinguished music faculty,” Weeks said.

“I would encourage all ISU students to attend this concert, not only because supporting live music is critical in this day and age but also because breaking out of your comfort zone [and] exposing yourself to new genres is an important element to being a well-rounded individual”.

Among many distinguished musicians performing at this event will also be Nicholas Roth, associate professor of piano at Drake University. Other pieces being performed at the event are “3 Pieces for 2 Pianos” by Meredith Monk and “Hope Street Tunnel Blues III” by Alvin Curran.