Notebook: ISU releases opener’s depth chart, Tom Farniok looks for bragging rights

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Redshirt junior offensive lineman Tom Farniok waits for the rest of the offensive line to get into formation during the game against Oklahoma State on Oct. 26. The Cyclones lost to the Cowboys 58-27.

Alex Gookin

As the ISU football team starts its last week of practice before taking on North Dakota State on Aug. 30, the Cyclones released their depth chart with a few changes from fall camp.

Jamison Lalk, who was named backup center after Ben Loth went down with a career-ending injury, moved to starting left guard ahead of Oni Omoile. Head coach Paul Rhoads said moving Lalk to guard puts the “best five offensive lineman [on the field]” and that Lalk will work exclusively at the guard spot. Nick Severs takes Lalks’ spot as backup center.

The biggest move out of fall camp was Dondre Daley moving from third on the depth chart to starter at the flanker receiver spot heading into the first game of the season.

“Dondre came into fall camp and showed exactly what he would have shown this spring had he not sprained his ankle and missed so many practices,” Rhoads said. “[He] can run, he’s got good length, catches the ball and goes after it aggressively to catch it … and [he] has really risen from a production standpoint on a weekly basis to arrive on game day.”

As has been the story all offseason, Rhoads said the receivers are the deepest position on the team and the depth chart does not necessarily reflect what will be put on the field Aug. 30. He said there will be more four wide receiver sets that will pull a wide variety of players into the lineup, including freshman Allen Lazard, who Rhoads said would be on the field against North Dakota State.

Farniok to face former teammates

The hype around the North Dakota State Bison has been well-documented, with a 24-game win streak and three consecutive Football Championship Subdivision national championships to their name. But for Tom Farniok, Iowa State’s starting center, the matchup offers something more — bragging rights.

Farniok, who grew up in South Dakota, said three friends and former high school teammates play for the Bison. He said he won a state championship with his teammates in high school.

“I’m a little more motivated because there are bragging rights on the line with a friend,” Farniok said about the game against North Dakota State. “It’s kind of cool that we get to play each other our last season of college football.”

He said growing up in a state with little high school football talent like South Dakota is different than other ISU teammates from Texas or Florida who have more connections. 

Farniok noted one of his friends is Bison defensive end Mike Hardie. The two will be on the field together at the same time. When asked what he will say to Hardie if he ends up taking him to the ground, his plan wasn’t as structured. 

“I don’t know, but it will be funny,” Farniok said.