Veishea Task Force creates subcommittee as recommendation deadline nears

Bill Dyke

The Veishea Task Force’s deadline to make an official recommendation to President Steven Leath is quickly approaching, forcing the creation of a subcommittee and considerations of additional meeting dates.

Being short on time, the task force created a subcommittee to write up a recommendation purely addressing student behavior, the party culture and how the university and city can address both issues.

The subcommittee has until June 24 to draft a plan and submit it to the task force.

The four-hour meeting covered a large number of subjects including how to address student behavior, riot and party “lightning rods” that needed to be eliminated, what the university’s oversight would be regarding activities and what the structure of the event would be in the future.

Due to the lack of a consensus amongst the task force members, the “executive committee” that meets regularly outside the normal task force meetings will decide how the new event should be shaped and how it will pertain to a new list of purposes.

The executive committee’s deadline will also come ahead of the June 26 meeting.

The task force continued its deliberations on what activities would take place during the new “overarching university-wide event” and how the event’s activities could match up with the “Nine Purposes of Veishea.”

A number of members were opposed to the idea of the task force dictating the activities at all.

The task force also looked at determining the purposes of the new event in an attempt to emulate the 1992’s nine purposes.

Sophia Magill, assistant director of federal relations, said that the primary focus should be engaging students to ensure that future riots and unofficial party issues can be avoided.

“[Do] we envision it being led by the students?” Magill asked. “Or is this something led by the university in tandem with the community and students?”

Eric Peterson, 2006 Veishea general co-chairman, agreed and suggested the event remain almost fully student-driven with some small guidelines from the university.

Others opposed having too much student control, saying that such a setup could disenfranchise the faculty, alumni and community.

The group also reconsidered earlier decisions by considering splitting the “overarching event” into a series of events over several spring weekends, moving the event to the fall or spreading the activities out throughout various points of the year.

Several members expressed concern that the proposed event was starting to look too much like the current Veishea.

“Does it leave the door open to get right back to where we are now?” Tom Hill, chairman of the task force, asked the committee.

Magill proposed the idea of taking the three major goals — building community, serving the public and showcasing achievements — across three separate weeks or weekends.

Several other ideas for the timetable of the new event were suggested, each receiving equal nods of approval. There was no consensus amongst the group.

The subcommittee and executive committee will meet ahead of the next task force meeting to make their final contributions to the recommendation before the June 30 deadline.

All task force meetings are open to the public. For more information, you can visit veisheataskforce.iastate.edu or contact the committee directly via email at [email protected].