The Workspace to host previously scheduled Art Mart

Jeff Lechner

The Workspace will host the annual Art Mart. The Art Mart was previously scheduled to take place during Veishea weekend but was canceled along with the rest of activities planned for that weekend due to the rioting. The sale will be open from noon to 6 p.m. May 9 and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 10 in the Trophy Tavern in the Memorial Union.

The Art Mart will feature a variety of unique works such as blown glass made by the Gaffer’s Guild, pottery and jewelry made by Workspace instructors, and framed photos of the Iowa State campus by students, to name just a few. 

“Art Mart is a way to support ISU and Ames artists as well as arts organizations [Gaffers Guild and Workspace],” said Workspace and Fine Arts Coordinator Letitia Kenemer. “The prices for original artwork at this event are well below pricing you would find in commercial galleries.” 

Most items at the Art Mart will be priced between eight to 20 dollars, and all proceeds of the Art Mart will go towards supporting the Gaffer’s Guild. The Workspace also has other local artists taking part in the event which could be good for students looking to class up their dorm room or apartment without breaking the bank.

With the event taking place during finals week students will probably be fairly busy, but that should not be a problem as Art Mart is not just for students.

“Art Mart is for everyone. Students are great supporters as well as faculty, staff and community members. We have little kids that come with their families and sometimes they purchase as well. I love the idea of an elementary school kid buying their first piece of pottery and starting their art collection,” Kenemer said.