ISU men’s golf sits in ninth place after day two of nationals

Richard Martinez / Iowa State Daily

Sam Daley, junior from Wynnum, Australia, goes through practice shots as the Iowa State men’s golf team begins to prepare for upcoming tournaments. 

Mike Randleman

For a brief period midway through the first round on May 24, the No. 47 ISU men’s golf team led the NCAA Championship.

Though that lead would be short-lived as the Cyclones finished at two-under-par after a nine-under-par start, it was another notable moment for underdog Iowa State during its postseason run.

After two days at the NCAA Championship at Prairie Dunes Country Club in Hutchinson, Kan., Iowa State is in ninth place out of 30 teams after posting a 278 in the first round.

Needing to finish in the top eight to advance to the bracket-style match play portion of the tournament, the Cyclones are knocking on the door in the early going.

Leading the charge for Iowa State was redshirt sophomore Collin Foster.

For much of the season, Foster has been the fifth option for the Cyclones but has stepped up in recent weeks after the team’s second-leading scorer, freshman Nick Voke, suffered a season-ending collarbone injury before the NCAA regional tournament.

In his last two rounds dating back to the final round at NCAA Regionals, the Waukee, Iowa, native has lifted his team by shooting consecutive rounds of 68.

At two-under-par, Foster is tied for 15th place out of 156 golfers.

“Collin played great and he built on the round he posted at regionals,” ISU coach Andrew Tank said in a press release. “He’s really taken his game to the next level this spring and I am really happy to see him play so well.”

With eight birdies on his card, Foster has found better fortune at Prairie Dunes than during his last visit — the 2013 Big 12 Championship in which he finished in last place.

Also in the 60s was junior Sam Daley.

Daley sits in a tie for 29th place after carding a one-under-par 69. Daley joins Foster in the coveted top-40 on the individual leaderboard.

After 54 holes, the top 40 individuals and ties will make the cut to compete in an additional 18 holes for the individual national championship. The final 18 holes are scheduled to be played May 26 before the team portion of the event is completed on May 27 and 28.

With an even-par 70, junior Scott Fernandez is tied for 39th and is the third ISU score in the top 40.

Freshman Jack Carter provided the team’s fourth qualifying score and matched his lowest round of the season by posting a one-over-par 71.

Rounding out the starting lineup was freshman Ruben Sondjaja. Sondjaja was unable to record a birdie, but tallied 15 pars en route to a three-over-par 73.

After several rain delays during day one on May 23, half of the field, including Iowa State, was unable to begin their second rounds as scheduled for day two on May 24.

Second round play will resume at 7 a.m. on May 25, with the third and final round beginning immediately after.

With a chance of rain and thunderstorms expected for day three, the NCAA has yet to announce a plan of action if third-round play is not completed in time.