Stephens Street Team Update

Courtesy of Stephens Street Team

Stephens Street Team Update

Nicole Presley

The Stephens Street Team that formed in the fall is making plans for the upcoming year for Stephens Auditorium.

In the fall of 2013 the staff at Stephens Auditorium advertised and formed a street team comprised of Iowa State students for Stephens Auditorium to promote their shows.

The students on the Street Team would help promote upcoming shows to students on campus.

To promote the events coming to Stephens and the Street Team wrote announcements on white boards in lecture halls, sidewalk chalked campus, handed out flyers, and talked to their classmates.

“I would make a speech in front of my choir and just let them know about what was going on and tell them about all the new and upcoming things at Stephens,” said Heidi Steger, member of the Stephens Street Team and a senior in music at Iowa State.

A new thing that Stephens Street Team created for the students attending shows is the student lounge during intermission. Students can go to the third floor balcony of Stephens Auditorium and receive a drink and Jeff’s Pizza when they show their student ID. 

Jeff’s Pizza was given to students at Beauty and the Beast, Bring It On: The Musical and Mamma Mia!

“Stephens Auditorium doesn’t have a student section like Jack Trice does or Hilton does, but we wanted to create a student atmosphere. I really think those efforts have increased [sales],” said Katelyn McDermott, marketing intern at Stephens Auditorium and president of Stephens Street Team.

“We really contribute that to what the Street Team has done for getting the word out, but also creating this new event and this kind of student friendly atmosphere for students who attended.”

The Street Team is looking forward to expanding the size of their team slightly next year. Currently the team is only 10 members. The Street Team is also looking to expand the student lounge during intermission of shows.

During the show the Street Team is able to watch the show since they helped promote the show and leave the show a few minutes before intermission to help set up the student lounge.

After intermission is over the students on the Street Team clean up the student lounge and can then finish watching the rest of the show.

Something else the students on the Street Team created is a blog. Street Team members write about shows, upcoming events and their experiences on the Street Team. 

Heather Kline, member of the street Team and a junior in event management major at Iowa State, recommends the Street Team to other students. 

“I plan on doing Street Team next year as well. It’s been really fun this semester. I was at a great group and I learned a lot and it’s something I really enjoy doing. [I’ll] definitely stick with it next year,” said Kline.

Applications for the 2014-2015 school year will be accepted in the fall. Emails will be gathered of interested students at events such as Destination Iowa State, Clubfest, and Welcomefest. A mass email will also be sent to all students at with an application included. 

Information about the Stephens Street Team is also on the Iowa State Center website.