NOTEBOOK: Three quarterbacks still looking for more improvement

Ryan Young

With the 2014 ISU football season approaching in just a few months, coaches are starting to fill in their depth charts. But there is one position that still holds a lot of questions for the Cyclones: the quarterback.

Three Cyclones are still in contention for the starting job at quarterback next season. Sam Richardson and Grant Rohach both are still vying for the job, while redshirt freshman Joel Lanning is also in the running.

Throughout the spring season, the offensive coaches said the three players were given equal repetitions at the quarterback spot. When they decide who will be the starter, however, is still up in the air.

“I’m really pleased. They’re growing every day with the new system,” said quarterback coach Todd Sturdy. “They’re all three competing. We’re putting them in all different kinds of situations so we can see every kid in every possible situation. I’m really pleased with what’s going on there.”

Sam Richardson

Sam Richardson, a three-star recruit from Winter Park, Fla., started eight games for the Cyclones last season. However, several injuries kept the redshirt junior off the field for the second half of the season.

Last season, Richardson suffered a sprained ankle, a groin injury, and a blow to the head and neck, among other things.

After almost an entire offseason, Richardson has recovered and is getting back to work. He even put on weight, something that he says should help keep him healthy.

“I almost feel a little bit faster, but we’ll see how it comes along,” Richardson said. “I just need to keep my weight up for now. That’s something that’ll help in the long run. I’m staying at 220 pounds, so its going good.”

Richardson has been in position battles for most of his career, even dating back to his high school days. Those experiences are something that he hopes will help him to keep moving forward to earn the starting spot.

“I’ve been here before, so it’s something that I’m used to,” Richardson said. “I just need to keep trudging through and keep doing what I can.”

Grant Rohach

Grant Rohach saw action in seven games last season. He started the last four games of the season, filling in for the injured Richardson. The redshirt sophomore led the Cyclones to back-to-back victories against Kansas and West Virginia to wrap up the season.

Rohach made a name for himself during the final two games of the season, throwing for 300 yards against the Jayhawks and 331 yards against the Mountaineers. Following the West Virginia game, Rohach was named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week.

The Moorpark, Calif. native impressed many during the annual spring game two weeks ago, as well. Rohach took the first team snaps of the day, and recorded more than 170 passing yards, the most of any quarterback, while coming up with an 8-yard rushing touchdown.

Rohach noticed improvements in himself from the start of the spring football season. After slowing down and taking things one play at a time, Rohach said he feels he is able to do a lot more.

“I didn’t start out as well as I’d liked to,” Rohach said. “But I think I’ve made a lot of strides to get better over these last few weeks. I think I kind of got ahead of myself and was trying to do too much. I just calmed down and focused in on one play at a time, and that’s what I’ve been trying to hold on to through the spring.”

Joel Lanning

A player who may be unknown to some ISU fans, Joel Lanning is the third quarterback in the race for the starting job. Lanning redshirted his initial college season last year, and is now looking to make an impact as soon as possible.

A three-star recruit, Lanning hails from Ankeny, Iowa where he was a four-year letter winner at Ankeny High School. The Des Moines Register named him the Class 4A Player of the Year after leading his team to a state championship in 2012.

Lanning took snaps during the spring game as well, but only had 14 pass attempts on the day.

While many on the outside might rule Lanning out based on his age and lack of experience, the coaches said he has done some really impressive things this spring and is progressing well.

“I’m really happy with where Joel’s at for a young player,” Sturdy said. “Joel learned a new system last fall, and he’s learning a new system in the spring. I know they’re all in that situation, but he’s still a freshman. I’m very pleased with how he’s picked everything up and how he’s progressing.”

Because he is younger than both Richardson and Rohach, Lanning knows he needs to learn as much as he can to get on the field. This spring, Lanning said he’s started to ask questions and really focus on becoming a smarter player.

“I just need to learn a lot more,” Lanning said. “I need to be a smarter football player. Knowing my coverages and assignments, all that good stuff. You just need to learn in the room.”