‘Veishea Says I’m Funny’ to bring laughs to Iowa State

Maia Zewert

Iowa State students will have a chance to show off their comedic chops during “Veishea Says I’m Funny.”

Mitchell Kenne, Veishea entertainment executive co-chairman, said this Veishea staple is not to be missed.

“The majority of the student talent for this event is really good,” Kenne said.

The annual event allows students the opportunity to prove they stand out from other jokers. With bragging rights on the line, expect comedians to pull out everything from their bags of tricks — including dirty anecdotes and witty one-liners.

Kenne said that the comedians can talk about whatever they wish, but something that might be funny to some might not go over so well with the judges or the audience. If a performer isn’t making the audience laugh, they can be booed.

“Performers should prepare long in advance and relax,” Kenne said.

This year, 26 student performers will take the stage for five-minute sets. Last year’s winner Dan Cole, senior in journalism and mass communication, will return this year to host the event, meaning that the competition is anyone’s game.

The event has been held at the M-Shop every year. The venue only holds 150 people, so Kenne suggests arriving half an hour before the show starts in order to secure seats. In the event that the room is full, “Veishea Says I’m Funny” is also streamed online.

While “Veishea Says I’m Funny” is sure to be an enjoyable evening, some of the student comedians take it seriously, as it may lead to other comedy enterprises down the road.

“Many people prepare a long time in advance to do this stand-up comedy competition and we’ve had performers move on to pursue comedy professionally,” Kenne said.

“Veishea Says I’m Funny” will be taking place 8 p.m. April 8 at the M-Shop in the Memorial Union. For a full schedule of the week’s entertainment, be sure to visit the official Veishea website.