Big Black to speak about TV experiences

Liz Cleaveland

Television personality Christopher “Big Black” Boykin will be speaking April 4 in the Great Hall at the Memorial Union thanks to the Student Union Board and ISU AfterDark.

Best known for his MTV series “Rob & Big,” with skateboarding co-star Rob Dyrdek, Boykin is also a musician and an entertainer.

Originally from Wiggins, Miss., Boykin went on to serve in the United States Navy as a chef and then as an executive protection specialist.

While taking a break from the limelight, Boykin created a clothing line, BB/Do Work and later launched it along with two other plus-sized apparel lines in 2012. 

SUB is a student-run organization geared towards planning and promoting on-campus events for students.

The board collaborated with ISU AfterDark for this particular lecture. Both programs provide the Ames community and students with informational, educational and entertaining events.

Deanna Le, special events director for the board, was in charge of signing Big Black on to their schedule.

“SUB and ISU AfterDark has relationships with various agents and Big Black was presented as someone that was available and whom students thought could have a good draw based on show popularity,” Le said.

Dyrdek initially hired Boykin as a bodyguard before starting their series together which lasted from 2006 to 2008.

“Big Black will be speaking and sharing his experience with his appearances in many popular shows on MTV, including ‘Rob & Big,’ ‘Ridiculousness’ and ‘Fantasy Factory,’” said Le.

Big Black will be speaking for free at 11 p.m. April 4 in the Great Hall at the Memorial Union.