Iowa State softball starting with a strong season

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Dail

Sophomore Brittany Gomez swings for the ball during the Cyclones game against South Dakota State at the Bergstrom Football Complex on Feb. 9. The Cyclones beat the Jackrabbits 4-1.

Rachel Anderson

The ISU softball team is having one of the best starts it has had in a while. The Cyclones’ record, as of this weekend, is 14-4.

Just last week, the team was 12-2 for the fifth time in school history. The last time the Cyclones did this well was in 2009.

In school history, Iowa State has only had 13 hit streaks of 10 or more. Three of those 13 times have happened this season.

ISU coach Stacy Gemeinhardt-Cesler said the team is doing a good job as a whole.

“All the returners have done a good job coming back,” Gemeinhardt-Cesler said. “Rachel Hartman and Katie Johnson as freshmen have been doing a great job. All as a group, I think they have done a great job.”

Johnson and Hartman are both true freshmen that have made huge contributions to the team this season. Some of the team believes having them this season has provided the Cyclones with leaders and confidence.

Sophomore Aly Cappaert said she is surprised by how well the freshmen are doing this year. She said that the Cyclones have a very well-rounded team this season.

“Last season, there were a couple people that stood out as stars, but this season it seems like we all are the same and play together,” Cappaert said.

Sophomore infielder Brittany Gomez agrees with Cappaert. She said the freshmen this year have really stepped up to the plate.

“Having a pitcher and catcher on staff that are not afraid of being leaders and telling us what we should and shouldn’t do — I think we all have a lot of confidence in them,” Gomez said.

Gomez has now moved into Iowa State’s all-time top-five for career-stolen bases with 39. Gomez is only nine away from breaking the ISU record. Gomez said she is always thinking of the future and how she gets on base before she even thinks of stealing another base.

“It’s a great accomplishment for me,” Gomez said. “But mainly I just need to get on base it’s what I’m trying to work on. I just need to try and do better for every game.”

As of Feb. 17, Cappaert and Gomez were the only players in the Big 12 to have hits in all of their games this season.

Gomez and Cappaert are not the only players Iowa State has receiving recognition. Senior second baseman Sara Davison and junior infielder Lexi Slater were both named to the Purple and Gold Challenge All-Star Team this weekend.

Gemeinhardt-Cesler thinks the team plays together well this season. She still thinks there is still room for improvement for the Cyclones.

“I think they are talented players,” Gemeinhardt-Cesler said. “They are good at identifying what they want. They have stayed focused to get those things. I think the combination of all those things have made them successful.”