GSB now accepting Executive Cabinet applications

Yanhua Huang/ Iowa State Daily

The Government of Student Body held its regular weekly meeting in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union on Sept. 18, 2013. 

William Dyke

The Government of the Student Body is now accepting applications for the Executive Cabinet.

With the Fall 2014 semester, a new senate will take over, and with the new senate the president and vice president-elect will have new cabinet members. Hillary Kletscher, incumbent vice president and president-elect, highly encourages all students to apply.

“We’re looking for students with initiative, they’re self-starters, they want to help the student body and leave Iowa State better than when they first came,” Hillary said.

The Executive Cabinet is a close group of advisers to the president and develops and executes policy initiatives to advance student interests. Cabinet officers are appointed by the president and confirmed by the senate. Some of the special initiatives headed by the cabinet this year include the Bike Share Program and Sexual Assault Support.

Applicants are encouraged to have well-developed leadership, communication and managerial skills, as well as specializations depending upon the position — i.e., financial knowledge to coincide with the financial advocate position.

“The Cabinet also serves on university committees in regards to their interests and their cabinet title,” Kletscher said.

Michael Hoefer, incumbent director of student affairs and vice president-elect, mentioned several new additions to the cabinet, including director of academic affairs. The director of academic affairs would be in charge of resources outside of the classroom, developing programs that match the academic needs of students and as a chief academic advocate.

“We’ve never had a person focused solely on improving academic resources for students,” Hoefer explained. “It will serve as students’ liaison to all academic needs.”

Director of non-traditional students is another new position that will focus on specialized issues like childcare, attendance excuses and night exam scheduling for non-traditional students. Another new position is the student organization financial advocate, whose sole purpose will be to guide organizations through the GSB processes of attaining funds and ensuring such funding is spent correctly.

Kletscher also detailed the new financial advocate position. Previous GSB financial knowledge is recommended she explained, but not required so long as a strong desire and ability to learn the functions and rules is present. As the GSB works with over $2 million, it is important that the financial advocate has dedication to the field of finance and can work with students and other organizations to allocate funds.

Kletscher also highlighted a few major cabinet positions, like chief of staff.

“We’re looking for a student who has experience leading a team.” Kletscher said in regards to the chief of staff. “Someone who knows how to communicate, set expectations, keep people on task and the ability to motivate others.”

Hoefer also mentioned that the position of election commissioner, which is typically held until graduation or retirement, is open for applications.

“It’s really about representing all students and working to meet the needs of students,” Kletscher said.

For more details about the Executive Cabinet functions and positions, you can go to gsb.iastate.edu or contact Hillary Kletscher at [email protected].