Board of Regents to look at university safety reports, parking fees

Brian Achenbach/Iowa State Daily

The Board of Regents is scheduled to review a parking fees increase report at the March 12 meeting in Iowa City.

Danielle Ferguson

Parking fee changes and the campus security and safety report are among agenda items for the March Board of Regents meeting this Wednesday.

The Board of Regents Comprehensive Safety and Security Policy requires the regent universities to submit a safety and crime report every year.

Sheila Doyle Koppin, communications director for the board, said in a media conference call that the timing of the report is unrelated to the comment made by University of Iowa President Sally Mason about sexual assault on the campus.

The report includes each university’s emergency mass communication capabilities, threat assessment and management, training of personnel, relationships with other law enforcement agencies and use of force or firearms.

For mass communication capabilities, Iowa State uses systems such as ISU Alert as well as social media to inform the public. The ISU Police Department has initiated Twitter and Facebook accounts during the past year to reach students and staff more quickly.

ISU Police has 37 state-certified police officers and 11 full-time civilian staff. The officers provided prevention and outreach programs and instruction to 33,716 people last year.

ISU Police provide programs to incoming freshmen and transfer students through orientation and Destination Iowa State.

The annually submitted crime report showed Iowa State had a total of 2,214 offenses or incidents, 1,579 charges and 1,274 people arrested in calendar year 2013. Of the 1,579 charges, 1,036 were alcohol-related.

The number of sex offenses increased from nine incidents in 2012 to 13 in 2013. Of the 13 offenses, 11 were forcible rape. No arrests were made for sex offenses in 2013.

“All three universities have given quite a bit of attention to this issue,” said John McCarroll with university relations in a media conference call.

The board will look at reports from each regent university.

Another item in the consent agenda is proposed university parking fees for fiscal year 2015.

Iowa State has submitted a request to raise illegal parking fees from $30 to $40, as well as an increase in a fee for parking in a reserved lot without a permit from $25 to $30.

Mark Miller, parking manager with the department of public safety, said the increases are to deter people who do not have a permit for a reserved lot from parking in one.

“A permit holder on a reserved lot is paying close to $500 to park there and students or other staff are pulling in there and the [permit holders] can’t find a place to park,” Miller said.

Miller said the Department of Public Safety parking division tries to increase fees in small increments every year rather than larger increases every few years.

The Department of Publish Safety parking division does not receive any tuition dollars and is self-supporting.

Money generated from fines and fees goes back into annual operating costs. Any money left over goes into a capital projects account, Miller said.

The regents are scheduled to look over this report and make a decision tomorrow.