ISU volleyball announces roster additions for 2014

Chris Wolff

ISU head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch announced two additions to the ISU volleyball team Monday morning.

Suzanne Horner, a transfer from Mississipi State and Rachel Manriquez, a walk-on, will join Iowa State for the 2014 campaign.

Horner enrolled at mid-term and has been practicing with the team and will compete during the spring volleyball schedule. Horner will be a sophomore next season with three eligible years remaining.

Horner started in 30 matches for Mississippi State last season, where she led the Bulldogs with 978 assists at 8.73 assists per set, while also adding 194 digs, or 1.73 digs per set, and 32 aces

Horner is a native of State College, Pa., where she was a finalist for the Pennsylvania Gatorade Player of the Award as a senior. 

Manriquez, who will join Iowa State in the fall before the season kicks off,  as a defensive specialist from Edmond, Okla. Manriquez will be a freshman walk-on for the 2014 campaign.

Manriquez was a libero throughout high school career, where she recorded over 300 digs in each of her four seasons, and was named to the All-State team as a senior.

Horner and Manriquez join November signees Branen Berta, Alexis Conaway, and Monique Harris as new additions to the 2014 team.

Harris enrolled at Iowa State at the start of spring semester and will be competing during the spring volleyball slate, which kicks off this weekend as the Cyclones will host a four-team tournament in Hilton Coliseum.