Board of Regents hold special meeting in response to UI President’s sexual assault comment

Photo: Suit Yee/Iowa State Daily

Dan Shechtman gives a short speech after being introduced and honored by President Steven Leath. Shechtman is the winner of the 2011 Nobel Prize in Chemistry. He is a professor in materials science and engineering in at Iowa.

Danielle Ferguson

The Board of Regents will hold a telephonic meeting Friday to discuss University Of Iowa President Sally Mason’s recent remarks on sexual assault.

Mason will give an explanation on her recent statement about sexual assault on the University of Iowa’s campus.

The board will hear these comments then go into closed session for discussion and evaluation.

Sheila Doyle Koppin said she has no prediction on what Mason will be evaluated on. Koppin also said she has no prediction as to what the discussion will be and that the session is confidential.

On Feb. 18, The Daily Iowan published an article talking to Mason about the university’s seven reported sexual assaults this academic year. The most recent was reported by University of Iowa police on Feb. 3.

In the article, Mason said the university’s goal would be to end sexual assaults, but, “That’s probably not a realistic goal just given human nature…”

Mason apologized Tuesday during a President’s Forum at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. In the apology, Mason said, “Several members of our campus community have let me know that my remarks on sexual assault that were printed last week in The Daily Iowan were hurtful and I did not intend them to be so.”

Students held protests Monday in response to the comments. A video published by the Iowa City Press-Citizen showed students standing on a street corner asking passersby to sign a petition. One student said, “Stop rapes on campus. Sign our petition. President Mason thinks rape is human nature.”

Another student said the University of Iowa has a zero tolerance policy on drugs, alcohol, hazing and cheating but no zero tolerance policy on rape.

A website, notinmynature.com, was created as a response to the comment. A petition is linked at the bottom demanding “that President Sally Mason and the University of Iowa take a zero tolerance stance on sexual assault.”

Iowa State University’s policy on sexual misconduct states, “The university prohibits sexual misconduct in any form, including sexual assault or sexual abuse, sexual harassment, and other forms of non-consensual sexual conduct, all of which can be forms of sexual discrimination. Students should be able to live, study, and work in an environment free from sexual misconduct. It is the position of the university that sexual misconduct in any form will not be excused or tolerated.”

The meeting will be held via telephone at 3 p.m. Live streaming is available during Mason’s explanation at the regent website.