Cyclone Sound indoor marching band

The color guards perform during the Cyclone Sound performance Jan. 20 in Forker Hall.

Devin Wilmott

The Iowa State University indoor-marching band presented its debut of “Cyclone Sound”, at Forker Gym at 4pm on Monday, January 20th 2014.

A fellow cyclone, Charles Chimezie, sophomore in chemical engineering, shared his feelings on the turn out, describing the event as “a beautiful depiction of school spirit that makes me proud to be a Cyclone!”

The concert featured an opener and closer with full ensemble, then had four feature songs for brass, drum line, color guard and feature twirler. All performers were once members of the 2013 Cyclone Marching Band.  

According to Steven Smyth, band director here at Iowa State, the Cyclone Sound, based off of the Broadway show “BLAST!”, “flaunts a 42-member strong band.”

For the features, most of the music and drill were written and taught by the students themselves.  

“It was truly impressive to see the creativity and hard work that went into these concepts.  My favorite aspect is watching them teach each other and the great learning that takes place,” Smyth said.

Symth stresses that the brilliance that we see and hear was not easily crafted.

“The music rehearsals were done last fall semester during the rehearsal hour for marching band after football season was done,” Smyth said.

Aside from these rehearsals, there was also 21 hours of rehearsal during Jan. 11 and 12, before spring classes began.

It should also be noted that the students composed and practiced most of these pieces themselves. 

Former band member, Blake Sorensen, a senior in chemical engineering, coined the phrase, “bandtastic” when asked to describe his experience today at Forker Gym.

Stephanie Tupper, senior in apparel and graphic design, stood with a smile as Sorensen rambled on about “the wonderful brass section” and a rather “charismatic twirler”.

“I have taught and guest directed many bands across the United States and our students are just better,” Smyth said. “When you mix Midwestern work ethic with intelligence, results are amazing. These students love what they do and it shows.”

Cyclone Sound plans to take the show preformed today on a recruitment and education tour to eight high schools around the state of Iowa.

This is a entertaining show by a group of very dedicated and talented students. Cyclone Sound will be great ambassadors for our music programs and Iowa State University in general,” Smyth said.