Nutrition professor gives tips for a successful diet

Miranda Cantrell/Iowa State Daily

The key to healthy eating is healthy thinking. Make a plan with measurable and obtainable goals. While it is still okay to indulge in holiday treats, limit your portions to avoid over-eating.

Logan Kahler

It can be very frustrating when your new year’s resolution list is as long as your holiday shopping list. As the semester comes to an end, so does the year. With the new year comes New Year’s Resolutions.

According to an article written by Statisticbrain.com, the number one New Year’s resolution is to lose weight, but only thirty-nine percent maintain their diet for six months or more.

Many people who make resolutions to lose weight are unsuccessful. The reasons why they aren’t successful is that they aren’t educated on proper methods to losing weight.

First off, people interested in starting a new diet and sticking to it need to understand that introducing a new diet is a process and that eating well is not just something you can change so quickly. Eating well is a completely new lifestyle in itself, said Sarah Francis, associate professor of food science and human nutrition. 

Dieting doesn’t mean completing eliminating delicious, but unhealthy, food.

“It’s important to remember all foods fit in moderation,” Francis said. 

Good news for those chocolate lovers out there, chocolate doesn’t have to be completely omitted from a diet either, just limited.

The mindset that one should continue to build when transitioning into a new diet is that eating well is a lifestyle and not just a phase.

“The key to dieting is mental strength,” Francis said.

The person dieting will need to learn how to develop a tolerance to fight off urges.  

“Diet is a very hard behavior to change,” Francis said. “What we eat is influenced by our environment.”

Clinician Sally Barclay believes in order to stay strong, someone dieting will need to have a plan. They will need to strategize by making measureable and attainable goals.

Barclay says that in order to make progress, the dieter will need to reach goals in order to find success.

Here are some tips to help maintain a diet from associate professor Sarah Francis:

• Don’t go to a party hungry. When we’re hungry, we tend to overeat. Eating a healthy snack before you go may take the edge off your appetite.
  • Take your own platter. If it’s a potluck event, take a fresh fruit or vegetable tray with low-fat dip or a cheese tray with reduced fat cheeses and whole grain crackers. More than likely you aren‘t the only one who wants to stay healthy during the holidays.
  • Limit high-fat foods. High-fat foods include fried or cheese-filled items, pastries, processed meats and cream-based dishes. Store high-calorie foods out of sight. Keep healthy snacks on hand such as fruit, cut-up veggies and whole grain crackers.
  • Watch portions. Enjoy your holiday favorites, just eat less of them. Aim for smaller portions. The first bite introduces the flavor and texture of a food, but will likely taste the same as the last bite. Remember, moderation.
  • Survey your options. At a buffet, survey the table before getting in line to choose foods. Select a smaller plate and a variety of foods. Reduce temptation by choosing a seat well away from the buffet table.
  • Eat slowly and enjoy your food. Return your fork to the plate after each bite, and chew slowly to enjoy the flavor and texture of the food.
  • Drink water. Stay well hydrated. For a change, drink sparkling water or add a sugar-free flavoring pouch.
  • Limit Alcohol. Alcohol provides extra calories. If you drink, limit the amount.