Iowa State holds on to defeat Oklahoma in overtime, remain undefeated

Freshman guard Jadda Buckley dribbles towards the basket during Iowa State’s 85-65 win over William & Mary on Dec. 29, 2013 at Hilton Coliseum. Buckley was three of four from three point range and finished the game with 19 points.

Maddy Arnold

The No. 14 ISU women’s basketball team (13-0, 2-0 Big 12) held on to defeat No. 25 Oklahoma (10-5, 1-1 Big 12) 82-75 in overtime on Sunday behind a career-high performance by freshman Jadda Buckley. She finished the game with a career-high 29 points, along with four rebounds and three assists.

The Cyclones’ 13-0 record is the best start in program history.

The first half was back and forth for Iowa State and Oklahoma until the Sooners went on an 8-0 run that began with just 6:15 remaining before halftime. Iowa State committed back-to-back turnovers during the run before sophomore guard Nicole “Kidd” Blaskowsky ended it with a 3-pointer.

Iowa State would finish the half with an 11-4 run of its own to take back the lead 32-30. The Cyclones struggled with turnovers (11) and fouls in the first half, with four Cyclones having at least two fouls each.

In the second half, Iowa State was up by as much as 10 points, but Oklahoma took the lead back when OU senior guard Morgan Hook hit a 3-pointer with just 2:21 remaining. Junior guard Nikki Moody made two free throws with just six seconds left to tie the game 69-69 at the end of regulation.

During overtime, Buckley hit a 3-pointer when the game was tied 71-71 with 3:23 left and the Cyclones surged ahead to hold on for the win.

Iowa State will continue its Big 12 schedule against Texas Tech at 7 p.m. Wednesday.